Chapter 6

“What’re you two up to?” asked a loud voice from behind us. We both immediately broke apart from our embrace and spun around to see the smirking faces of Merry and Pippin.

“Oh-um, we were just-” began Frodo guiltily, looking at the ground.

“What are YOU doing, Pip?! Sneaking about and following us!!!” I screeched angrily, I couldn’t believe it, we were so close, but my stupid brother had to go and ruin it all. I tossed a mushroom at him, but missed; it landed in a soft patch of everlastings and rolled away.

“Following you of course,” replied Pippin triumphantly, “you didn’t say where you were going yesterday, so we decided to find out ourselves.” Frodo seemed to have lost all nerve and stood up, he had an expression of the utmost embarrassment upon his face. I knew he was thinking just how brutal Merry and Pippin could be on this subject and they were Frodo’s only friends.

“I can’t believe you two!” I cried, pulling at the moss I was sitting on, “this was PRIVATE!”

“Yes, what were you doing, anyway?” asked Merry, grinning smugly. I avoided Frodo’s eye, my face felt hot again. I desperately tried to come up with an excuse, I knew how obvious it must have looked, but that wasn’t going to make me admit it.

“Erm- we-we were just having a picnic,” said Frodo feebly, holding up the basket of food, “I asked Lily if she wanted to come with me today.” Pippin raised his eyebrows.

“What, just a picnic, are you sure? It didn’t look much like you were eating.” Smirked Pippin, Frodo looked as if he was about to say something.

“Just leave us alone, it’s none of your business what we’re doing!” I cried angrily, I couldn’t believe how interfering those two could be, they completely annihilated my moment with Frodo. He had been so nice, he went to all this trouble organising this picnic and now he had lost all his confidence, because of my brother. My heart sunk and anger took hold, we probably would never get back together now, even I was too shy to look back at Frodo. “Just go, Pip, please. We’ll be there in a minute.” I mumbled miserably. Pippin shrugged and grabbed Merry by the sleeve, his expression still smug.

“Of course,” he said sarcastically, “you two want to be alone.” They turned and left, walking straight over a punnet of beautiful flowers. I turned back to Frodo, his head hung in shame, staring at a beetle that slowly made its way over a mushroom.

“Look, sorry about them,” I said, Frodo shook his head, “I suppose we’d better go.”

“They’ll never let me hear the end of this,” mumbled Frodo sadly, “I-I guess you’ll be off with them.”

“You-you could come-?” I said, he shook his head again and picked up his basket.

“Better not,” he replied, “I suppose I’ll see you some other time.”  I stared sadly back at Frodo hesitating, wondering whether to follow Pippin or to go with Frodo. I sighed.

“Bye then,” I mumbled, turning and following Merry and Pippin through the trees. I found them waiting for me behind an ancient oak tree. I turned and watched Frodo slowly walk away in the opposite direction, towards his home, until I couldn’t see his cute brown overalls any longer. I turned back to Merry and Pippin. “Did you really have to?” I sighed.