Chapter 7

Nerves were building up again, it had been two days since I had last seen Frodo and the dance was that night, I realized that I couldn’t put it off any longer. I had to ask Frodo today, otherwise I would miss my chance completely. I didn’t understand why it was so hard, it was just asking him a simple question, what was I scared of?

I was following the forest path, a short cut to Bag End walking as slow as I possibly could. I anxiety and dread took over; this was like some form of torture. I had made sure that Merry and Pippin didn’t follow me this time; I wanted this to actually work out, with no interruptions whatsoever.

I emerged from the forest, making sure I wasn’t being followed and strolled onto Bag End. Frodo’s uncle, Bilbo tottered past with a large book in his hands.

“Good morning my dear,” he said, smiling.

“Good morning.”

Frodo’s house came into view at the end of the road, its round windows illuminated with candle light. Frodo must be home, I thought, continuing along the path. I began to breath heavily and sweat, my nerves were getting the better of me, I wasn’t sure if I could actually do it.

I suddenly found myself standing outside Frodo’s gate, I hesitated, my hand hovering over the latch. Come on Lily, it’s not that hard, just knock on the door and ask him, I thought to myself. I opened the gate and walked up to the green door; I slowly lifted my hand and knocked. I heard shuffling from behind the door, then the door flew open, and there he was, the most beautiful hobbit in the world. He looked surprised to see me, he smiled shyly and a red flush crept up his neck.

“Er—hi,” he said avoiding my eyes; I realized he was probably as shy as I was.

“Um, Frodo I-I was wondering,” I stuttered nervously, “t-there’s a dance coming up tonight at the Green Dragon Inn a-and I wanted to see if you would—come with me.” Frodo stared at me, his eyes wide and his face turned a deeper shade of crimson. I felt my face burning, butterflies were shooting about in my stomach and I suddenly felt sick.

“Tonight? Oh…um, yeah I will,” replied Frodo as a small smile crept over his face; “sounds good.”

“Good—ok,” I felt fireworks going off in my stomach, but I tried to remain calm on the outside.

“I’ll pick you up from your house at about seven,” said Frodo, I smiled, I felt dizzy.

“Yeah ok, I’ll see you then.”

“D-do you want to come in--?” he asked shyly opening the door a little, inviting me to come inside.

“Oh, um I really need to get back to mine,” I replied, immediately regretting that answer, Frodo nodded.

“Ok, I’ll see you tonight.”

“Yeah, bye,” I replied, smiling manically. My heart was beating so fast, I was so excited for tonight, he had agreed to come to the dance with me!