Chapter 13

I lay in my bed, staring blankly at the ceiling and thinking. I must admit I did feel a bit sorry for Frodo, he must have been feeling quite bad after what happened yesterday. Before I wanted him to see how I felt, I wanted him to understand how sad I was when he left me. Now I realized that I cared for him too much and I didn’t want him to go through the same sadness as I did; it would make me feel even worse.

I decided to go over Frodo’s house right at that moment and invite him to come with Merry, Pippin and I. We were planning on having an exciting day and I wanted him to join us. It would be a great way to become friends again, to be honest I actually missed his company when I was with the boys. I thought it would be good for him and me to get over our problems and actually have a good time.

I sprang out of bed and quickly changed into an old blue dress and roughly tied my curls back with a piece of string that I found on my dressing table. I was quite eager and excited to get my old friend back, it would be fun to have Frodo come along with us. I slipped out the door, closing it behind me and explained to Pippin in his room, that I would meet him and Merry by the stream.

I sprinted up the road towards Bag End, nearly knocking over poor Mr Proudfoot who was carrying a large basket of corn. I apologised quickly and continued to run speedily up the path. Finally I arrived at Frodo’s front gate; I leapt over it impatiently and trotted up to the doorstep. I knocked and a warm, smiling face appeared behind the door. It was Frodo’s Uncle Bilbo, his crinkled face welcomed me and he bowed politely.

“Good morning my dear,” he said happily, “is there anything you wanted my help with?”

“Hello Mr Baggins,” I said politely, “I’m actually here to see Frodo, is he in?”

“Oh, of course, of course,” Bilbo replied, “come in, come in.”

I stepped inside and gazed about the house, it was lovely inside, everything was clean and round, it was one of the most beautiful hobbit holes I had ever been inside.

“Lovely place you have here, Mr Bilbo,” I said admiringly, Bilbo smiled gratefully.

“Thank you my dear, I’ve put a lot of work into it,” he said. “Now, Frodo’s room is just along the hall, last on the right, I’ll just be out here if you need me.”

I nodded and strolled down to Frodo’s room, admiring the beautiful house and taking in the atmosphere. It was decorated gorgeously with maps and scrolls, books lined every wall, I could smell the sweet scent of baking bread and the floor was perfectly varnished that it gleamed brightly under my bare feet. I eventually made it to a round, wooden door at the end of the hall; I knocked several times, but found that the door was already slightly ajar. I pushed it open slowly, I couldn’t see Frodo anywhere.

“Frodo?” I called softly as I stepped inside the circular room. I gasped when I saw the inside of the room; it was like some kind of library or study. Hundreds of ancient books as thick as tree roots and about as old as the moon where piled high above my head, scrolls were stacked in one corner of the room and maps covered every inch of the walls. The sight of the room was overwhelming; I found myself becoming curious, what on earth could possibly be in those books? I opened a particularly old and heavy book, it opened with a thud, its pages were crinkled and yellowed and it looked as if in some places it had been burnt and torn. I tried to read the text that had been beautifully handwritten in black ink, but I couldn’t understand it, I thought it could have been ancient elvish, judging by the writer’s style. I gazed around in awe, you could spend weeks in here discovering new things and still have half of the room left unread. I stared at the beautiful maps that coated the walls, I recognised one of them as a map of the Shire and I began trying to pick out the different parts of the town that I was familiar with.