Do I Really Have to Put God in My Story?

I asked a bunch of amateur authors how they thought their relationship with God affected their writing. Some people had seemingly dramatic answers like "without God I wouldn't write at all". Others were frustrated. I got replies like, "Without God, my writing would be limitless. I wouldn't have to worry about 'too much' violence or sexuality". The rest were ambivalent, saying things like, "Well, I don't write Christian books per say, but I think everyone's beliefs ultimately affect their writing," or "You don't have to write Christian books to please God. Just do your best work. That's all God cares about- giving it your all."
So who here is correct?
Surely they can't all be doing it the right way. Is one side worrying too much or another worrying too little?
Is one closer to God or more "holier than thou"?
How can we tell?
As we talked about in the last chapter, God isn't a God to guilt or manipulate people, so if you ever feel that way than it is not from God. So stop worrying!
However, God recently convicted me, which is the opposite of guilt. Conviction is when God reveals to you a sin you've been blind to. It's a good thing and actually helps you- not hinders you. God convicted me about- you guessed it- my writing. The verse came to my mind:

30"Anyone who isn't with me opposes me, and anyone who isn't working with me is actually working against me.
(Matt. 12:30 NLT)

God makes it pretty clear that it's all in of all out. And that means I'm out writing too.

5-17 "I know you inside and out, and find little to my liking. You're not cold, you're not hot—far better to be either cold or hot! You're stale. You're stagnant. You make me want to vomit. You brag, 'I'm rich, I've got it made, I need nothing from anyone,' oblivious that in fact you're a pitiful, blind beggar, threadbare and homeless.
(Revelation 3:15-17 MSG)

The verse sounds harsh but it actually has a point. God doesn't want "stagnant" or lukewarm followers who just let God affect a tiny piece of their life. He wants full out followers committed all the way. This may sound intimidating but don't freak out- we'll talk more about it later. The passage also mentions how the person is prideful when they have nothing to be proud of. They think they have it all but they are missing out.
Could it be that sensationalism and gore, sexuality and erotic books.... Maybe that's just the copycat. Maybe it's the fake...
Maybe writing without God has no meaning. I mean, we are going to mess up and stray away... But what if instead of focusing on how many votes and reads we got...instead of focusing on perfecting grammar and a writing style...instead of focusing on getting published...
What if we focused on God?

"...[W]e are just as capable of messing it up as they were. Don't be so naive and self-confident. You're not exempt. You could fall flat on your face as easily as anyone else. Forget about self-confidence; it's useless. Cultivate God-confidence." (1 Corinthians 10:11-12 MSG) (Emphasis added)

We don't need more reads, more advice, or more attention. The only attention we need is from God. Like we talked about in the last chapter, Jesus is my Master. Not sin. Not Wattpad. Not people and their opinions. God. Do you think if God wants you to write for Him, He's going to throw you to the wolves? No!

13 No test or temptation that comes your way is beyond the course of what others have had to face. All you need to remember is that God will never let you down; he'll never let you be pushed past your limit; he'll always be there to help you come through it. 
(1 Corinthians 10:13 MSG)

Did you hear that? "You'll never be pushed past your limit." God is not a slave driver nor a tyrant. He love you and He loves your heart for Him. He didn't die on the cross because we are worth something big, but because He loves us like a Father. In the same way, God doesn't want to "use" you. He wants to foster something great in you through Him. Because it is through God that this whole touching-people's-heart-thing works, not you. Sorry, Charlie. We all have to be humble enough to accept we are nothing on our own- that our pens hold no power- until they are infused with Gods plan for our lives and stories.
---
We've talked a little bit about how writing for God doesn't mean boring plots and being limited, but I will remind you again. Some very powerful writers for the Lord write Sci-Fi and Action. It just depends on what God calls you to do. Examples being Ted Dekker and Andrew Klavan. I have no association with them, but I've read their books- and they're outstanding. Why? Because they write in the Spirit. Now, hold on, I can practically see the funny looks you're giving me. What I mean is that you and I cannot control God. Huh? Meaning, we may have great plans, but the Lords plans are the ones that prevail. We may want to keep God cornered in one section of our lives. We might only want to think about Him on Sunday's or when other believers are around us, but that's not what God wants for us. God is a raging fire-forever burning- a taste of honey so sweet it burns. You cannot control the God who controls the planets alignment- the God who for made the stars with just the words of His mouth. If you want something easy, plain, dull... Stay right where you are. But if you want God to be your sole focus, it doesn't just mean your writing here and there. It means everything. And who better to give control over to then the One who created the universe and knows the ins and outs?

14 So, my very dear friends, when you see people reducing God to something they can use or control, get out of their company as fast as you can.
(1 Corinthians 10:13 MSG)

Are you using God as a play-toy...something you only use to amuse yourself for a while before moving on? Are you fearful? Unable to let go of the reigns in fear of crashing, or, worse, just stopping completely- frozen in fear? What are you doing? What does your relationship with God really look like?

"...you can't have it both ways, banqueting with the Master one day and slumming with demons the next..."
(Excerpt from 1 Corinthians 10 MSG)

So what's it going to be?

As Kyle Idlemen put it, will you be a fan of Jesus cheering on the sidelines yet never getting involved, or a follower actively and completely committed to everything Jesus is- even if that means getting uncomfortable and playing in the mud.

What's it going to be?

Pray with me, will you?

Dear God,
I just pray for the person reading this book right now. They're seeking out Your will. In Your Word it says You give help to the helpless and rest to the weak. We acknowledge that we all need this and ask in Jesus name that you would give it to this reader specifically. Give them strength and courage. Help them to remember it is thrilling business to follow You and that it is so very worth it. In Jesus precious Name, AMEN