The Project

For the rest of the week, Maka did her best to avoid Soul. He would always try to come up and talk to her while his friends jeered and laughed behind him. He seemed nice, but Maka was wary none the less. Popular kids like Soul don't talk to people like her. She managed to avoid him for a month until the partner project.

The bell had just rung as Professor Stein rolled into the classroom. The room quickly grew quiet and the professor turned to face the class. He pushes his glasses up his nose and light gleams off the glass.

"For the next few weeks we'll be doing a partner project..."

At the word partner, everyone started whispering and a few girls giggled.

"However, your partners have already been decided."

A collective groan rolled through the students. Stein pulled a list out of his pocket and began to read off of it. As the professor read, Maka wondered who she would be partnered with.

"Ox and Harvard, Kim and Jacklyn,..."

The two girls smiled at each other.

"Black*Star and Tsubaki. Kid with Liz and Patty,.."

Two girls behind Maka whispered,

"Figures, those three are always grouped together. Even when it's a 'partner' project."

Maka mentally shakes her head at the two girls as Stein continues to read down his list.

"Maka and Soul."

When Maka hears who Stein had partnered her with, she froze. Why Soul of all people? She'd spent a whole month avoiding him and now she was going to be forced to work with him. She could feel his eyes on her, but she refused to turn around and look at him.

Professor Stein finished reading and looked at his students,

"If anyone has a problem with their partner, raise your hand."

Maka was tempted to, but she didn't see how she could get out of working with Soul. She couldn't just say that something about him intimidated her. Not only would she be laughed at, but to her it would feel like she'd lost to Soul somehow, some way. She would just have to deal. The bell rings signaling the end of class. Everyone rushes the door, laughing and joking around. Soul catches Maka before she could escape.

"I realize that you don't want to work with me, but it won't be as bad as you think. Promise."

Maka just nods, not having a response. She shrugs Soul's hand off her shoulder, hurrying away.

•••••••

Soul walks down the hallway, acknowledging the greetings sent his way. Every now and then, he would stop to talk to someone, but his mind was still back in 1st period. He had been shocked when Stein has announced that he and Maka would be partners, and he could tell that Maka had been as well. At least now she'll have to talk to him. He'd been trying unsuccessfully for the last month, and now here he had the perfect chance.

Soul reached his locker and quickly puts in his combination, opening it. As he gets his books and closes the door, Black*Star punches him in the arm.

"I can't believe you got stuck with that loser! Talk about embarrassing."

He laughs his obnoxious laugh and Soul ignores his comment.

"How about you and Tsubaki? You finally get some alone time with her~"

Black*Star scoffs at him.

"As if! I don't like her!"

Soul laughs as his best friend gets madder and madder. The rest of the day, they discuss what you would expect from guys like them. Parties and girls. Mostly girls.

They check out the girls as they hang outside the school at the end of the day. Black*Star was waiting for Tsubaki and Soul was waiting for Maka. He spots her hurrying out, her head down. He quickly says goodbye to Black*Star and trots over to her.

"Hey Maka, wait up!"

She jumps a little, but does what he asked.

"What do you want Soul?"

He shrugs, noticing a nervous edge in her voice.

"Just wondering when you wanted to meet up. To work on the project."

Maka shifts her weight to her left foot, gripping the strap of her bag.

"Umm, Wednesday or Thursday works for me"

Soul nods.

"So where do you want to meet?"

Makas quiet for a while, thinking.

"How about the library? The one right off 37."

"Sounds good to me."

Maka shifts her weight again.

"If that's it, then I'll be going.."

Soul looks her in the eyes just before she turns her back. There it was again. What was it hiding in her eyes? He could only catch quick glances of it, and never long enough to figure out just what was lurking beneath that innocent exterior. Maka hurries away, keeping her eyes on the ground. Soul's eyes follow her till she disappears around the corner. What was going on with Maka? That question was going to drive him insane.