Realization

Soul sighs as he walks down the hallway. In the last 2 weeks he couldn't think up a single thing to show Maka that what she had heard wasn't true. What could he say? That someone had distorted the file? But Black*Star could vouch on the bet, so that would make it a lie. Soul shakes his head and he opens his locker. He hears Maka's voice and his heart twists. He missed talking to her. He missed their stupid conversations and debates over his laziness. He even missed being forced to work by her. That thought stops him. His mind begins to list all the things he misses about Maka and he realizes that there's more to it than him just missing her. Could he.... Could he love her? No. That was impossible. She's a flat-chested nerd that hardly has any good tastes. And yet he found himself longing for her. He didn't want to admit it but he wanted to wrap his arms around her and kiss her. To hold her close to him and never let her go. What has gotten into him?

•••••••••

Black*Star watches as Soul walks down the hallway. He was tempted to call out to Soul but he found that he couldn't. What was he going to say? He had to know about Maka by now. Black*Star could see it every time Soul looked at her. It was almost like he was a puppy missing its owner. An anger rises in Black*Star. How dare Maka steal his best friend from him? The urge to make her pay strikes him hard. What else could he do to hurt her? He was going to have to dig up more dirt on her. And soon.

•••••••••

Maka walks home from the library, listening to her music. She never really understood why people listen to music to escape their problems, but recently she was starting to get it. If you found a song that spoke to you, you felt like you weren't alone. There was someone out there that you could relate to. And right now that was what Maka needed. She needed someone or something she could fall back on. Her life was falling apart. She still had yet to get over her mother's death, the abuse, losing Soul. Maka pauses as her heart twists. Betrayal and heart ripping sadness swirl through her. How could Soul do this to her? She trusted him and he had taken that trust and shredded it like it was nothing. Like nothing had mattered. Was it all just a game to him? A bet? Because he felt sorry for her? Well she didn't want his pity. She didn't want his lies. She just wanted a friend she could rely on. The friend Soul had been. The kind of friend that would stay with her when she was crying and upset. The kind of friend that would hug her when she felt empty and needed some sort of way of knowing that she wasn't dead. She wanted Soul back.

Maka pauses on her door step. Being here wouldn't help the swirl of emotions going through her. But where could she go? The library was closed. The song changes and it clicks. The music hall. There was always someone playing there. She could clear her head there. She shifts her bag on her shoulder and she heads that way. God she wished she would figure this out soon. She didn't know how much more of this constant dilemma she could take.

•••••••••

Soul takes a deep breath and he sits down at the piano. His fingers glide over the ivory keys. The hall was empty, giving Soul the space that he needed. So many emotions were swirling through him; the only way he could think of getting them out was by playing the piano. His thoughts turn to Maka as he sets his iPod down and plugs the speaker into it. How fitting he'd come here to play this song. He turns the backing track on and gets his hands into position before he plays and sings along and he closes his eyes.

"I'm falling down into my shadow
Grasping onto every breath
As I await the Deadly night

So scary, but you can't give into this
Fear of pumpkin carraiges
'Cause all the witches see it in your eyes

See you in your dreams, yeah, baby
Your nightmares too, that's where I'll find you

Fairy blue
It is only for you
That I would crush the stars
And put them on display
Black Paper Moon
If you really put your faith in me
When you're lost, here I am
"forever" with your soul
Waiting here above you patiently,
Just like the shining moon

A symbol rises to the surface
Of the crimson sweetness that I had submerged it deep within
Your destiny isn't so immutable
Anything that you can dream
Can also be the fate that you will have
Don't try to use deceit on me
I will not break, I won't surrender

Fairy blue
You are my everything
The reason I go on
In this captivity,
Eternally

If you raise your voice and call for me
I will find you, my dear
Wherever you may be
And I will be sure to set you free from this ensnaring curse

There are times when no one believes in me and
There are times where I feel like I'm degraded
But even in those times your words always echo within
My heart

This is my promise

Fairy blue
It is only for you that I would smash the stars
And use them as a sign
To guide you

And any time that you're lost or afraid, or you can't see your dreams,
I want you to look up

And Fairy blue
You are my everything
The reason that I live
In sweet captivity so faithfully
And I swear you'll never be alone
When you're lost, here I am
Forever with your soul

We can make it through most anything, if you can just believe"

The song ends on one of Soul's favorite chords. He keeps eyes closed as he imagines that Maka was sitting there, listening to him. He had royally messed up. He let her slip away as he fell in love with her. What was he doing? What had he done? He could blame it on Black*Star but really, was it his fault? Soul had said the words and he continued to let Maka believe them. He was too scared to make it right. Perhaps this is what he deserved.

"Soul...?"

Now he was imagining Maka's voice. He must being going crazy or lovesick. Possibly both.

"Soul."

Someone touches his shoulder. Soul opens his eyes and is shocked to see Maka looking at him. Was he dreaming? He must be.

•••••••••

Maka looks at Soul, her emotions a raging storm inside her. She had heard him singing and it had stirred up everything inside her. She didn't even understand half of what she was feeling. Soul looks at her in surprise mingled with shock.

"Maka..."

His voice quivers slightly, taking Maka by surprise.

"Maka."

He stands up and hugs her. She hesitantly hugs him back, completely shocked. This was a different Soul from what she was used to. He hugs her tightly before he pulls back and looks her in the eyes. In the light, his eyes almost look a pinkish color.

"Maka, I have to tell you something."

"...What is it?"

"I..."

Soul pauses and bites his lip.

"I love you."