Fear of Silence

Soul watches as Maka walks into the classroom Monday morning. He had been trying to get ahold of her all week. Now he could see why she hadn't been picking up. He could see faint bruises on her neck and cheek, messily covered up with makeup. Soul winces slightly. He finds himself wishing he could have been with her to comfort her or even better yet, protect her. He half way stands up before he realizes what he was doing and sits back down. Maka sits down and gets her books out, ready for class. Stein walks in and the bell rings, signaling that class has started.

Soul does his best to pay attention but Maka commanded it all. He couldn't keep his eyes off her. Black*Star nudges him several times before Soul even notices. Soul looks over at his friend.

"What?"

Soul does his best to keep the snark out of his voice. He was pissed at Black*Star for what he and Arachne were planning to do. The only thing that was keeping him in his seat at the moment was the fact that he was going to stop their plan in their tracks. He was going to save Maka from them.

"You owe me money."

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"You lost the bet so pay up. I need the money for Saturday."

Soul snarls at Black*Star. Was he really doing this now? The urge to strangle Black*Star hits him hard and he nearly acts on it. But Stein reprimanding them keeps him from doing it. Instead Soul just glares at him and ignores him for the rest of the class. When the bell rings he gets up and walks with Maka out of the classroom. She hardly says a word to him as they walk down the hall, but that doesn't bother Soul. He makes sure that she's ok and walks her to her locker.

"About before...."

Maka looks up at Soul as she closes her locker. He stays quiet, not pushing her to say anything. She bites her lip and shifts her books in her arms.

"I, uh... I don't...."

She's interrupted by the 2 minute bell ringing. She nearly jumps and she darts off with a hurried good bye to Soul. He watches her scurry off; the only thing he can think about is what she might have said.

•••••••••

Maka walks into 5th period, a bit more cheery than she was this morning. Talking with Soul through snippets of the day had made her forget how much she hated her life for the time being. She sits down and takes her books out, ready for the teacher. But a runner comes in and gives her a pass down to the office. She looks at it, puzzled. She quickly reads it and her stomach drops. The counselor wanted to see her. She gets up with heavy feet and slowly makes her way to his office. Time seems to slow down for her as her dread suddenly flares, making each step painfully slow. What could he possibly want to see her for?

"Ah, Maka. Come in."

Maka hesitantly slips inside and closes the door behind her. She stands just inside the room, not willing to get any closer. Mr. Law tries to coax her in but she doesn't budge. Finally he just gives up and leans back in his chair.

"What am I in here for? Did I do something?"

Mr. Law shakes his head and he looks at Maka sadly.

"Unfortunately I must be the bearer of horrible news."

A cold chill runs up Maka's spine. What could this possibly be about? She didn't have a clue and it was starting to make her anxious.

"....What news?"

"Your father... He was killed in a construction accident. I'm sorry."

"W-what? No. That can't be possible. How could that even happen? He doesn't work in construction."