Suspicions

November and December are hellish months in the Yogscast. Not only has everyone's workload increased, but the Christmas livestreams put a lot of strain on all of us. As much fun as they are, they also mean a lot of preparation, long nights at the office, and the constant worry that yours won't be good enough or you won't raise enough money. Smith, Trott, and I have some good ideas, and Amanda's been a huge help coming up with new games and challenges, but our declining view count has been looming over us like a dark cloud. 

I was tasked to come up with challenges for our livestream next week during lunch, and after enduring the shenanigans of Duncan and Sjin in the break room, I had decided to hide away in our empty office to give myself some peace while I thought up plans and googled ideas. An eating challenge was a definite, but I had no idea what Christmas themed foods were worthy of a livestream challenge. 

I was about to turn the doorknob when I heard muffled laughter from inside our office, but a quick look up told me no one was recording anything. I opened the door quietly anyway, since Amanda liked to use my computer to record sometimes and has yet to get the hang of turning on the recording light.

"Yeah, every Christmas we would go back to that hill. My cousin nearly drowned one time when we tired to sled after an ice storm," Amanda chuckled from her seat on our sofa. Her body was turned away from me, but her conversation partner noticed me almost immediately. 

Smith jumped when our eyes met. "Oh, uh hey Ross," Smith said, trying to regain his composure by stretching and leaning back into the sofa. His movements were awkward, and I could easily see through his attempted recovery. 

Amanda whirled around in her seat, shock clear in her eyes. "Hey Ross Hornby," she smiled, her voice too high for her to be as nonchalant as she was trying to seem, "How's the livestream planning going?" 

I ignored her question. "What's going on here?" I asked, an uneasy feeling settling into the pit of my stomach, "Smith, you said you were going out for lunch?" 

"I- I am," he stammered, "I mean, I was on my way out and I came to grab my keys and she was in here and we were just catching up and we haven't had time to talk to each other with the livestreams coming up." His hand was unconsciously clenching and unclenching in a fist as he talked quickly, a nervous habit I was very accustomed to. 

"I was going to work in here to use your copy of Illustrator," my girlfriend said gently, standing up. She kept her distance however, not being so bold as to touch me when I was feeling so volatile. 

"I don't care what your excuse is; this isn't the first time I've caught you two together lately," I said, Smith's nervousness only fueling my rage further. I was caught off guard by this, and with the suspicious way they have been acting, I have reason to worry. "What's going on?" I asked when neither of them spoke.

"Mate, don't be so paranoid," Smith scolded, standing up and striding over to his desk where his keys and coat were. He seemed to have regained his composure and was now trying to put me back in my place like he usually does when I'm upset about something. 

"Where are you going?" I asked incredulously, watching him throw his jacket on and step past me towards the door. I couldn't believe he was just going to leave so nonchalant and unaffected while I stand here fuming. 

"Out to lunch," he snapped, pulling open the door with more force than was needed and slamming it closed. I had half a mind to follow him and confront him, but I was more likely to get answers out of Amanda than my stubborn, bullish friend. 

"What the hell was that?" I nearly growled, turning back to her. "Why are you guys spending so much time together? Why didn't you invite me if you guys were going to eat lunch? I wouldn't have cared if you had at least told me!" The stress of work was getting to me and clouding my thoughts, and even while I continued to grill her I felt guilty for even raising my voice at my girlfriend. However, I had a right to be concerned and needed answers to questions that have been eating away at me for weeks.