Yogtowers

I looked out of the corner of my eye at Amanda as I drove, worried for her. She had transformed since she left the hospital and was dressed professionally; she wore black slacks and a blazer, and her hair was pulled back in a sophisticated ponytail, all of her curls tied back away from her face. Her skin and lips looked less parched than they did in the hospital, and I even noticed a hint of makeup dashed around her eyes. You almost couldn't tell she was ever in an accident, though the faint scars that spotted her skin when you looked for too long told otherwise.

        She absently wrung her hands as we drove, her knuckles white as they clasped together. "You seem nervous," I noted, nodding towards her lap.

        Her only reaction was to furrow her eyebrows as she watched the road in front of her, continuing the nervous twitch. I kept quiet the rest of the trip, leaving her to her thoughts.

        When we got there I had helped her out of the car and into the building, her newly healed pelvis still giving her trouble when she walked long distances. Martin was there to let us in, and the two exchanged a pleasant introduction. Amanda was reserved, though I couldn't tell if it was because she was anxious or that was her reaction to strangers.

        Trott and Smith were already waiting by Lewis' door when Amanda and I made our way towards them. "Hey," she greeted quietly, not really looking at them as she stared at the closed door in front of her. I wanted to say something or at least grab her hand to assure her that everything would be alright, but something about her ridged stance made me wary of doing anything.

        "Are you ready?" Trott asked, giving her a concerned look. She only just acknowledged the two standing next to the door, and gave a small nod; she didn't look ready.

        Smith placed a hand on her shoulder and she flinched. "Don't worry, everything will work out, I promise," he said, tilting his head down so he could look in her eyes.

        His sincerness surprised me, and I was beginning to realize that there was something extremely strange about this girl, and I didn't entirely understand it. She seemed to attract people's affection like a magnet; those around Amanda were seemingly automatically comfortable and friendly to her. It explained why our relationship was moving so fast; something about her made us feel like old friends rather than having just formally met a few weeks ago. That was also probably why I had felt such an attraction to her in the first place. She was just... appealing. Smith and Trott already seemed like they had been best friends with her for years, even though they've never actually had a real conversation.

        Lewis must have heard our voices, for his door swung open and he seemed to be taken aback by all the people in the hallway. He looked over Amanda and seemed to pity her as she stood with a surprised and almost fearful look on her face. "Come in," he said, motioning to his office and holding the door open, "You must be the girl I've been hearing so much about..." He pressed himself against the door to let her through, and the expectant look on Amanda's face made me fall in behind her.

        Amanda sat on the edge of her chair, her hands clasped firmly together in her lap and her shoulders pulled back. She may have looked confident if it wern't for the terror in her eyes. Lewis sighed as he ran a hand through his hair and sat down. "Now, I'm very sorry to hear what happened, and I hope you are doing alright..." he started, getting right into it. Amanda nodded to his presumed question and he continued, "but I need you to realize that I'm in a predicament here."

        I looked over at Amanda and saw her gulp, but she kept the same neutral facial expression. "Please, Lewis Brindley," she started, sounding somewhat panicked and leaning forward in her chair, "I moved from America for this job..."