Chapter One: A Hug Wouldn't Hurt

Merlin stared after Arthur with a tight little smile. Why did he ALWAYS do that? He squared his shoulders and resolved to follow him. He knew a secret way into the Prince's room and took that route so that he could check in on him to make sure he was alright. It can't have been easy, dealing with his father's rejection like that. Uther –had- been bewitched and Arthur could have died if he hadn't got there in time.

A hug wasn't –too- much to ask! Honestly.

He watched as Arthur pulled off his shirt and sat down heavily in his chair. The elder boy ran his fingers through his hair and sighed. He reached or the wine bottle and filled up his cup. Merlin found his eyes drawn to Arthur's lips as they licked some wine from the side of his mouth. "Damnit." Arthur grunted.

There was a knock on his chamber and he bid them enter. It was The Lady Morganna who smiled wanly when she saw him. "Well, what a relief." She helped herself to some of the wine and sat across from the brooding Prince. "What's got you mad now, hm? I'm just glad we're rid of the troll."

"I'm not mad." Arthur grunted.

Merlin suddenly felt very weird listening to their private conversation and he was just about to sneak back away when Morganna's words made his ears go pink and he stayed rooted to the spot.

"Have you told Merlin yet?"

"No!" Arthur's voice was sharp and filled with emotion Merlin could swear he'd never heard from the Prince in the past.

"Arthur." Morganna's words crooned a bit like a mother scolding a little boy. "You have to tell him. What happens if you're drunk and he's helping you get your clothes off? You can't hide this forever."

Hide –what-. Merlin's eyes were round with anticipation. What had Arthur got himself into?

"I can bloody-well try." Arthur growled. "It's just that he's... " He gave a desperate sound that was almost despairing. "He gets in my space unexpectedly and I don't know what to do."

"TELL him. For godsake, Arthur."

"What if he doesn't want me?"

The petulant note to Arthur's tone made Merlin's lips twitch fondly. He was adorable when he did—hey now. What? What was that question ... again... exactly? Merlin was sure he'd heard right, absolutely certain.

/What if he doesn't want me?/

"Then at least you'll know and you can stop this ridiculous behavior." Morgana threw up her hands and glared at her "sibling". "TELL him."

"What if he laughs at me?" Arthur shot back. "I couldn't handle that. What if he hates me?"

"Arthur Pendragon." Morgana rose up and drank the rest of her goblet. "Merlin loves you. If you can't see that then you deserve to wallow...." She paused and stiffened slightly. Her eyes drew towards the corner of the room where the secret door Merlin was hiding behind was not even remotely visible.

Her magic was getting stronger. Merlin shivered slightly.

"I love him, Morgana." Arthur whispered into his goblet. "When he wanted to hug me I almost let him...I wanted his arms around me more than anything. But I walked way."

Merlin's mouth fell open. Arthur what? He stood there, stupefied.

"I know, dear." Morgana smirked towards where she know was certain Merlin was standing. "If he knows what's good for him, he won't reject you." She bent down and gave him an affectionate kiss on the forehead. "Good night." She called too loudly as she strode out of the room.

Merlin was dumbstruck, Arthur loved him? Like was –in- love with him? That couldn't be true. And how did he feel about that? He scratched his head and his eyes were drawn back to the handsome blonde as he drank his wine and sniffled occasionally. It was true that Arthur was beautiful, sunshine and fire. It was also true that Merlin knew he would be by Arthur's side forever. And it was also true that there was no future in loving a Prince. He would forever be in the background, always second to everything else. Was that enough?