Chapter 4: A Haunting Past

***EARLY MORNING***

Samuel did not know why he continued to stay with Uther. In fact, he was pretty surprised that Merlin hadn't caught on or noticed him. Wasn't he supposed to be a great wizard? It wasn't as though he had a great deal of magic like the great warlock, just enough to make him useful. He supposed their magic was very different. He'd been with Uther since they were boys together. Uther had changed almost completely when Ygraine died, and though he knew the King was aware he used magic, he knew that Uther could never punish him for it.

And so it was that the occasional dirty dead fell to him, the one man that used magic Uther trusted absolutely. Samuel wasn't his only manservant but he was the one that turned things down at night and heard him mumbling fretfully in his sleep. A quiet word would always chase the nightmares away. For years he'd been overlooked and that was just as well because for the things he did required one to be unnoticed.

Earlier that evening Samuel had followed Merlin and slipped something into his dinner. Now it was time for more drastic action. Ever since Merlin had come to Camelot, Samuel had stopped using anything other than minor spells he knew would get passed the dragon's notice. He stole through the physician's lair and up to their bedrooms. He found Merlin's door and crept inside. No lock could keep him out. The room was dark and quiet except for the sleeping warlock's steady breathing. Shadows flickered on the walls as the manservant moved. Merlin shifted in his sleep and whispered Arthur's name.

Samuel frowned. Uther had been very specific as to what he wanted done and he drew out some rope that he had brought with him. Just as he was about to begin this dastardly deed there was a sharp intake of breath at the door.

"Who are you! Get away from him!" Arthur thundered, he would have drawn his sword but he was standing in the doorway with a face full of rage.

The manservant, all shadows and black clothing was impossible to identify. He knew how to remain anonymous in this world. "Stay back!" He commanded in a low guttural voice, the rope twisted on its own and turned into a snake to Arthur's very confused surprise. In the magic tongue, Samuel told the snake to attack and it did just that.

"Guards! Call out the guard! Palace intruder!" Arthur shouted. "Wake up, Merlin!" Arthur found himself face to face with a vicious giant cobra while Merlin slept on. He quickly looked for something to defend himself with and grabbed an end table. He kicked at it and broke a leg off. At least he had a weapon now.

Wham! Whack! Crunch! Arthur fought against the snake furiously.

Samuel knew he didn't have a choice now, he hadn't expected Arthur to show up and he needed to leave some kind of message behind so that Uther would not be suspected. "We will come back for him." He spoke cryptically and while the Snake continued to bite and hiss at Arthur he spoke another magic word and the meager window in Merlin's room flew open. To the Prince's surprise, he ran for the window and jumped out of it. Arthur fought the snake back in time to see the intruder shift his form and fly away. /fly/ away.

As Arthur battled the snake, the guards in the palace were already clamoring up the stairs to Merlin's room and Gaius was awake in his nightcap looking confused. At least they all saw the snake before it turned back into a rope and Arthur just stared at it in astonishment. Merlin himself was dead to the world while all this was going on.

"Why isn't he waking up!" Arthur demanded of Gaius who gave a helpless shrug.

"What in the world happened?"

"Sire, what happened? Is the intruder gone?"

"Jumped out the window!" Arthur cried out. He seemed to have completely forgotten that he was shirtless in his pajamas until he noticed Gaius' withering stare.