you (bonus)

in the years following luke's disappearance, michael searched long and hard. that day in disneyland, when he disappeared out of nowhere, he searched everywhere. every time he tried calling his fiance's phone, all it would do is beep a few times.

michael was scared out of his mind. he lost his world and he didn't know what to do. he didn't eat, could barely sleep for weeks following. when he had to leave disneyland, each step that took him away from where he thought his beloved still was hurt like hell. it hurt worse than anything ever had before.

and when he finally came home, he visited his parents to tell them the news. they knew that luke wouldn't just disappear like that; he wasn't missing. but they didn't want to be the ones to break the news. it was selfish. all they wanted to do was protect their son.

one day, in the years following, michael learned to move on. he didn't forget about the blonde boy with the shining blue eyes, of course. the boy still plagued the back of his mind. he dreamed of luke coming back one day and woke up with tears in his eyes. moving on took time.

but eventually, it didn't hurt anymore. michael could think of luke and not have tears pooling in his eyes and a gaping hole in his heart. he finally settled into a life he could live without struggling to breathe.

at 36 years old, michael was happy. michael was completely content. he had a fiancé of a couple months, whom he loved very much, and the two children they adopted together.

every year, on christmas, he would be reminded of when he was young. waking up to a bunch of presents under the tree, getting to open all of them. he always remembered the little boy doll beside him. he was always there.

"smile, kids!" david, his fiancé, smiled wide. he held a camera in his hands as their two children posed amongst their presents. joey, their eldest son, was five years old. daniel, the youngest, was three and a half. their eyes were bright and skin radiating with the happiness and excitement of christmas morning.

"dave, could you please go get them dressed? i have to finish cleaning up here before we go to my mom's" michael asked him after pictures were done being taken.

there was wrapping paper everywhere. david nodded and took the kids upstairs, leaving him alone.

silently, michael gathered all the wrapping paper into a trash bag. he had realized how much work the holidays were for parents, with buying gifts, wrapping them, decorating, cleaning everything up. he felt like a mess and all he wanted to do was sleep the week away.

in the midst of picking up the ripped paper, his hands bumped against something and accidentally sent it sliding away from him.

confused, michael walked over to the object and bent down. he picked it up with one hand.

his eyes raked over the doll, which looked in pristine condition despite all the years it had gone through. it had two eyes, with no stitches found anywhere over the body.

michael's eyes shut for just a moment. this was his doll that he had seemed to lose so, so many years ago. it brought back memories and put a slight frown on his face.

but then he smiled and shook his head. he thought of himself as ridiculous, but he couldn't help but think.

luke was always there. luke would always be there, even if michael didn't believe in santa clause anymore and he had moved on.

because luke loved him, and he still loved his little luke.

A/N: it took me forever to finish this omg i'm sorry. i had half the chapter written but then a bunch of things came up and i've recently become a huge janiel shipper i'm so sorry

thank you for reading xx