chapter 1

Lilian Rae Toth, commonly called Lily Rae, downright hated school. The people, the teachers, the everything. School sucked.

But she didn't skip. She didn't ditch class, like other students that were a bit more rebellious than herself. She knew that her grades were important, and attendance was necessary. She knew that it was stupid, and she didn't complain. Out loud.

No, she went like she was supposed to, screaming and kicking internally. Hating life and everything it has to offer.

First period: History. Not the best 45 minutes to start the day off. Way too easy to start falling asleep in that class.

Well, usually it is. The teacher was going to begin teaching when a girl bursts through the door, apologizing profusely for being late.

Her blonde hair is a mess. She's a mess in general.

Papers are sticking out of her bag, wrinkled and crinkled. The collar of her uniform was sticking up, and her big blue eyes were wide and frazzled.

Wow, what a cliché.

"I-I'm the new student – well, a new student. Lucy Martel." Lucy tries to straighten herself out, knowing everyone's eyes are on her.

"Ah. Right. Please, take a seat," the teacher says, obviously annoyed. "Anywhere is fine." He continues to start the lesson as Lucy walks to an empty seat.

Which happens to be the one next to Lily Rae.

And, because Lily Rae absolutely despises the human race, she wishes that the guy who used to sit there hadn't moved to Las Vegas.

Lily Rae glances at Lucy from the corner of her eye before reluctantly taking notes.

Somehow, during lunch, Lucy manages to make her way to Lily Rae again, after having three classes total with her so far. (History, Science, and English, for your information.)

"H-Hi." Lucy sits down across from Lily Rae, setting her tray on the table and sliding her bag onto the floor underneath her chair.

"Hello," Lily Rae says warily. She's not used to eating with people. She's the loner of the school.

"It's okay if I sit with you, right?" Lucy's voice gains confidence.

"Yeah, of course." Lily Rae is such a liar.

"Thanks! I'm Lucy." She takes a bite of one of her chicken nuggets.

"Yeah, I know. I'm Lily Rae."

"Pleased to meet you!" She smiles.

Formal introduction, huh? So far, Lily Rae doesn't think she likes Lucy.

At all.

Last period of the day. Last period of Friday.

The excitement of the other students was contagious. And by other students, that includes Lucy Martel as well. Oh, but Lucy's presence wasn't enough to make Lily Rae's excitement disappear.

Yes, the excitement was twice as strong for Lily Rae because – oh, just guess!

She doesn't have any homework! And no homework means she has a free day all to herself! And a free day means she can spend it with her horse!

Ah, she's smiling just thinking about it!

She forces the smile off of her face. She must remain calm, and keep up her reputation as the weird, agitated loner.

Unfortunately, her attempt to remain calm goes unnoticed.

By that annoying bimbo named Lucy.

"And just what are you smiling at?" She slides her chair over to Lily Rae when the teacher finishes the lecture, allowing them free time.

"N-Nothing." Lily Rae tries to hide it. God, just because we just met doesn't make us automatically friends, she thinks.

"Don't lie! I saw you! You looked way happy."

Lily Rae sighs. "I just can't wait to go home."

"Oh, come on!"

UGH. "Fine. If you must know, I want to get home to my horse. So in a way, I wasn't lying."

Lucy's eyes widen dramatically. In awe, she asks in disbelief, "You have a horse?"

"Yeah." What, is it a big deal or something?

"Oh my God, let me see it."