chapter 5

"Okay, it's not that big of a deal."

"Yes, it is. It totally is." Lily Rae takes a breath and mutters, "It's only fair."

"Whatever. So, may I see the other horses? The ones in the barn?"

"No, I-"

"Lily Rae wouldn't mind that, would she? Of course you can!" Lucy gave Lily Rae a look and Jed hopped off his horse and followed the two into the barn.

What in the world? Who does Lucy think she is?! Here she is, the first day at school, the first time at Lily Rae's house, the first time meeting Jed, and she's already taking things into her own hands?! What is wrong with her?!

Regardless, she walks into the stables, biting her lip anxiously. Lucy shouldn't be doing this. Not only does she not have the right, but she shouldn't be messing with Jed.

He could ruin her.

Next day of school, and Lily Rae is tired, to say the least. She couldn't stop thinking about Lucy and Jed. Together.

She doesn't think they would make a cute couple. Nope, not at all. If they did, they'd only last week until Jed breaks Lucy's heart.

Meanwhile, Lucy seems to be happy as ever. She walks into class with a smile on her pretty face, music blasting through her ear buds. She sits next to Lily Rae, turning in her seat to face her.

"Good morning!" She greets, eyes sparkling.

"Yeah, morning." Lily Rae doesn't move as she speaks. She just continues scribbling down on her homework.

"Can I come over today? I'll pay you for lessons!"

Lily Rae freezes. Horseback lessons? She doesn't like Lucy, but she's a sucker for money. ". . . How much?"

"75 dollars an hour!"

At this, Lily Rae's head whips around. "75?!"

"Yeah! My family is pretty wealthy, so it won't hurt to give that much! So will you??"

75. . . That's a lot for an hour to Lily Rae. . . "Sure."

"Oh, great! When do you want to schedule it?"

"Um. . . Wednesday?"

"Oh, yes! That's perfect! Wait. . . Yeah, that's perfect!"

Lily Rae sighs. What has she gotten herself into?