chapter 4

Lily Rae sat on top of It's a Bell, and Jed was on his horse, Ginger. They stood side by side in the paddock, which was large enough to have a small, three-lap race in.

Lucy counted them off. "Three. . . Two. . . One, Go!"

And then they're off! It's a Bell is already in the lead, but Ginger is gradually gaining. It wasn't long before the two were neck and neck.

Two laps pass in minutes, but the third feels like slow motion to Lily Rae. She has to win this. She has to, or she wouldn't be able to live it down. Not only does she want to rub the winning in Jed's face, she wants to impress her guest. Lucy doesn't know about Lily Rae's skills, and Lily Rae wants her to be aware.

Lily Rae sat forward in her seat, urging It's a Bell to go faster. The horse complies. It seems like they've been tied forever, but It's a Bell speed and endurance pushes her further.

In moments, Lily Rae and It's a Bell take the lead. And in seconds, they pass the finish line, which is marked by Lucy.

"Yes!!" Lily Rae can't help but exclaim, flinging her arms up. She makes sure to hold tight with her legs. However, she puts her arms back down in order to keep from falling.

She halts and dismounts her horse, petting her and kissing her nose. "Good girl, It's a Bell!! Good, good girl!!"

"Oh, it's not that big of a deal," Jed mutters, dismounting his own horse. He pats her neck. "Who cares, anyway?"

"Me! I care! Do you know how many times you've won?! Rubbed it in my face?! Countless times?!" Lily Rae marches up to Jed, pointing in his face.

What matters is she won.

She had won. For the first time in her life, she had won.