Chapter 8

Featured song: "Paralyzer" by Finger Eleven

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marissa's POV

As we pull into a spot in the parking lot of the club, Arabelle pivots in the passengers seat to face me.

"Okay, Marissa. You might have been to dance clubs, but I'm almost certain that you haven't been to one like this. So, it's time for a crash course of the rules. Rule number 1, if someone looks creepy, do not make direct eye contact. They'll take that as an invitation. Rule number 2, if a stranger hands you a drink, do not drink it. Same goes for food. Rule number 3, do not get shitface drunk alone. Rule number 4, don't buy from any dealers here. The dealers that comb through clubs looking for kids who don't know the difference between shitty drugs and good quality drugs. Got it?" she asks while Lily snickers beside her. I nod quickly, and Charlotte rolls her eyes. Lily puts the car into park and turns around as well.

"One more thing. The four of us are most definitely not going to be able to stick together the whole time, it's practically impossible. So, lets agree to all meet in front in two hours, alright? That way, if one of us can't find the others, we'll have a plan. Phones usually aren't much help in there because of the volume of the music, so put it on vibrate so you can feel it in your pocket." She pauses, eyeing us all before breaking out into an loose smile. "Now, let's get OUT of this fucking car and have some fun!" she shouts excitedly. I'm startled by her exuberance; I haven't seen that emotion from her yet. Even Charlotte grins as we all clamber out of the car and walk up to the club. Lily and the doorman greet each other like friends and do a weird handshake as we pass by him undisturbed. He winks at us and makes no move to give us the "under 21" stamp that he holds in his hand.

The music inside is roaring loud, as well as the smell of teenage rebellion and angst. The room is dimly lit, and the different crazy hair and clothing styles are fascinating. The rock music that's playing fills me with adrenaline and excitement as we push into the room.

"Hey, I'm going to head over to the bar!" shouts Charlotte over the music.

"Can I join you?" I reply loudly. Charlotte nods with a smile before heading towards the bar. Sitting on the side lines sounds like a good idea for now, so that I have time to scope out the place and get used to it, so I follow her. I feel a hand grip my elbow, and when I turn around, I find Arabelle looking at me with a strange look of nervousness on her face. She leans in next to my ear so that I can hear her.

"Just... be careful, okay?" she murmurs. Her lips brush my ear lightly, and I feel something stir in my... lower region. What is this girl doing to me?

"Um, yeah, sure," I reply, flustered.

Arabelle pulls away so that we're face to face, just a few inches apart. She looks conflicted, as if she's holding something back. My stomach fills with anxious butterflies as I watch her big pale blue eyes flicker down to my lips, and for a second, I was sure that she was about to kiss me. I think I wanted her to.

Suddenly a hand is waved between us, and we're both snapped out of our trance. Charlotte is standing beside me, looking peeved.

"I thought you were coming with me?" she yells over the music.

"Yeah, sorry, I got distracted," I respond in a daze. I glance back towards Arabelle, but I find that she's no longer standing there. I frowned, disappointed.

Arabelle's POV

I push through the crowd, trying to get away from her as fast as possible. I snap the rubber band on my wrist over and over again viciously, trying to erase the thoughts of Marissa's lips. Dammit, if Charlotte hadn't interrupted us, I don't know what I would have done.