Moonlit Forest

Bryanna woke up startled. She looked around the room, trying to find Nod. She sighed to herself when she realized that he was gone.

Did he just... leave?

She walked out of her house with a lowered head, but it quickly rose when she opened the door. A butterfly passed as she looked out. Bryanna saw some plants and leafmen gathering and some plants and leafmen leaving.

She watched at the huge leaves seemed to turn a lighter green as the sun hit them. Some flowers began walking to the palace along side her, and dandelions lied themselves in the dirt, occasionally taking some sips of water. She marvled at it all with wide eyes.

She entered the palace, marveling at how natural it seemed for the rocky structure to have rooms. It also seemed natural that all these little creatures had some sort of job to carry out in order to keep things the way they were, the way they always had been.

"Bryanna!" The queen stepped toward her. "How do you like your new house? Did Ronin help you make stuff to live more comfortable with?"

"No. Uh..."  Bryanna began looking around for Nod. "Nod took me home, and we didn't get around to getting me anything."

"Oh, no. You're supposed to MAKE it."

"Oh." Bryanna grinned.

Nod was behind her, smiling with heavy, sleepy eyes. The queen quickly glanced at Nod. He shook his head, telling her not to let Bryanna see him. The queen understood and looked back at Bryanna, who was looking at some leafmen ride their birds away.

"You want to ride one?" The queen smiled.

"I did yesterday." Bryanna looked at the queen. "I fell off, but I had Nod to help me." Her eyes softened. "I don't really want to ride unless he's there."

The queen smirked to herself.

Bryanna gasped as her eyes were covered. "Guess who," someone whispered.

Bryanna placed her hands on the hands of the person who was making her guess. She felt every ich of the armor on their hands and thier knuckles, making her way to their wrists. "Nod?"

He laughed, wrapping his arms around her neck. He swayed with her as he spoke. "I've gotten into so much trouble because of you. Luckily, I was able to sneak some sleep in."

"Nod!"

Nod rolled his eyes at Ronin's voice. He opened his mouth about to speak, but the queen placed her leafy hand his arm, smiling.

"Ronin."

Ronin got in attention. "Yes, your highness."

"Nod has a special order from me, so go bug someone else."

Nod smirked, not turning back to look at Ronin.

"Of course, your highness." Ronin left, seeming to smile as he walked away.

The queen turned back to Nod. "Nod, help Bryanna with what she needs. She needs a bed and somewhere to sit in her new house."

"Um, all right." He grinned, spinning Bryanna out of his arms. "Let's go."

Nod led Bryanna not to far from Bryanna's house to show her materials she could make her furniture from. He showed her all kinds of sticks she could use. Bryanna loved how many different materials were actually useful to this tiny civilization. Eventually, Bryanna told Nod that they should use what Nod thought was best. Nod noticed that the sun was setting again and that they should make her bed at least before the moon rose.

Bryanna and Nod finished building the bed rather quickly. In fact, they built it so quickly that Nod had time to build Bryanna the sofa before the sun was gone. The moonlight shone in and Nod sat at the edge of the hole, watching the moon.

He sighed a sigh of satisfaction to himself.

"I've only seen the moon like that once, all big and yellow."

Nod turned his head to face Bryanna as she sat down. He laid his head on Bryanna's shoulder and whispered, "You should see it at midnight."

Bryanna grinned, looking away. "I think I will. I slept until pretty much the afternoon." She twisted some of her hair tightly.

Nod sat up. "Lucky you. Some of us don't get that kind of luck, you know?"

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean for that to happen. I just really wanted to win and--"

Nod gently placed a finger on Bryanna's lips, smirking and locking gazes. All of Bryanna's thoughts froze as they gazed into each other's eyes. Nod slowly leaned closer to her, his head moving to the back of her head. He kissed her, stroking her hair and gently cupping her head for his passionate, lingering kiss to last.

As they pulled back, their eyes slowly opened. Bryanna had a light blush on her cheek as her gaze pierced into Nod's.

Nod smiled, placing his hand on Bryanna's. "I'm sorry if that was the wrong thing to do. I just--"

Bryanna kissed Nod, wrapping her arms around Nod. "It's okay," she whispered into his ear.

Nod grinned and wrapped his arms around Bryanna, catching a glimpse of the moon in the corner of his eye. He whispered in Bryanna's ear, "It's midnight, beautiful."

Bryanna looked up at the bright, full moon. She saw a flock silver-glowing moths fly over the water fall and past her home. Nod pointed at something in the distance, and Bryanna focused, seeing fireflies beyond the trees in front of her. Her eyes shifted throughout the forest to see if she could find anything else. She heard owls hoot throughout the forest.

Nod smiled at Bryanna as she continued looking throughout the forest. His attention was truly on only her. He wanted to tell her how beautiful she looked to him. He wanted her soft, blond hair between his fingers again. He wanted her to know that he wanted to kiss her again, to hold her. He shook his head slowly.  After all, he didn't want to rush it.

Nod cleared his throat. "Well, I better go. I have some work to do tomorrow and I don't want to get in trouble again." Nod stood up.

Bryanna's gaze snapped to Nod. "When will you be done?" She stood up beside Nod.

"Some time in the afternoon. It won't be too long."

"Uh... do you think..."

"Do I think what?" Nod titled his head slightly.

Bryanna tried not to look at Nod. "Well... I... I don't want to fall off a bird again, so--"

Nod stepped into Bryanna's gaze. "So you want me to teach you how to ride a bird properly? Why didn't you just say so?"

"I was trying to!"

Nod laughed, which made Bryanna laugh lightly.

Nod smiled at Bryanna. "All right, I'll teach you how to ride tomorrow." His gaze softened. "Good night."

"Good night."

Nod hopped off and away several times before Bryanna lost sight of him. She walked to her bed, smiling to herself and looking forward to tomorrow.