Chapter 17: When the War Rages (Part 3)

I am barely back in my room when I notice a figure sitting on my bed shift.
"Where were you?" It's Grindelwald.
"I..."
"Why can't you ever obey me? I don't tell you the things I do just for amusement, John. I say them, because I don't want anything bad happening to you. You are my cousin; you are my family. Can't you see? I don't want you getting harmed!" He rises from my bed and starts walking around the room.
"I'm sorry," I mutter. It's all I manage to say. Grindel's feet shift and he walks toward me. I wince and turn around, expecting him to hit me, even though he never has. But instead, I find him hugging me.
"Don't you ever do that again, you little shit," Grindel whispers.
I laugh a bit, but then tears start escaping from me. I break into a sob, which then turns into a full-out fit of tears and muffled crying.
"What's wrong?" Grindel stops hugging me and looks down at me.
"I just... I was talking to GregorMcCarthy, the Corporeal Hybrids leader -or at least, ex-leader- when he told me... he told me my parents were in that same room with us. And I felt a hand, my mother's hand, touching me. And I... I can't bear to lose anyone else. Not my friends or family. I can't."
"It's okay, John. You won't lose me. And I will do everything I can to protect your friends from threat. You have to protect them, too," Grindel replies.
I sniff and wipe away the tears."What day is today?"
"December 3rd. Why?"
"Four days left. We have to prepare."
I turn around and leave the room. I head for the common room. Most of the Outsiders are there, including my friends and my uncle and his group.
"I know this is highly unexpected," I start, calling everyone's attention, "but there is a war happening in just four days. We have to prepare. We can't just go unprepared. Not this time. We are going to show them who is right. We will win."
A chorus of shouts emanate from the crowd. "I won't force any of you to go, so if anyone wants to stay, then leave this room right now. You won't be judged. I know I am asking too much, and that's why I am allowing anyone who doesn't want to participate to leave this room immediately."
Three-quarters of the people in the room stand up and leave it, leaving us with only around one-hundred Outsiders left.
Oh, shit. Okay, continue, John.
"Good, good. Anyone else?" Luckily, no one rises this time. "Okay, as I was saying, the Corporeal Hybrids will be attacking us with their own army. But we will oppose to them. We have a greater capability, since we have powers, whereas the Corporeal Hybrids don't. We have a greater chance." I stare into the crowds. Two dozens of teenagers and a bunch of people in their mid-forties'. "I guess we will have to do with what we have right now. We hold five of the six people left from the Kin of the Eight, including myself. It is our time to fight. We will be training on the outskirts of this Outsider house, and at the same time, watching the perimeters in case there is any surprise attack. Good luck, people. And choose safely. If there is anyone else that wants to leave, your last chance to leave is today. For the rest of us, tomorrow we start training at 8 AM. Be on time."
I leave the common room and go back to my room. A couple of minutes after I have closed the door to my room, I hear a knock on the door.
"Come in," I mutter.
My friends come in. Penelope walks in first, followed by Diane, who is closely followed by Annabelle and Mia. The four of them stare down at me.
"What's up?" I ask, grinning.
"How exactly do you plan to win this thing?" Annabelle questions.
"We have to fight. We are Outsiders, after all. And most of the Corporeal Hybrids are humans," I reply.
"But they also have Hybrids. And some Outsiders as well. Just because the vast majority of them are human doesn't mean it's okay for us to fight them. It doesn't even ensure us a win," Diane says.
"I know, but we have no option. They will come at us, whether we want to or not. It doesn't matter where we are at, they will always come at us," I answer.
"True... but do you think we have a possibility to win this?" Maia asks.
"I do. We have five members from the Kin of the Eight. They only have Ken. And I doubt they'll even take him to battle. And in case they do, I can take care of him. I know I can. We can do this, okay? There's no need for you to worry," I assure them.
"If you think so, then I will think so too. I trust you, John. I believe everything will come out fine," Penelope says.
Penelope, Maia, Annabelle, and Diane all turn around and retreat through the door. I sit again on my bed and then lower my head to my pillow. In a matter of just a couple of minutes, I am already asleep.