Ch. 8

Warpath's P.O.V.

I walked back to the war room carrying Annabeth in my arms bridal style thinking about everything I just overheard.

Was she really going to do it?

Kill herself?

For me?

Ugh, I don't have time to be thinking about this right now.

Once I passed through the door, all eyes were on me. After Thalia saw Annabeth in my arms, she went off on me.

"What did you-"

I wasn't listening to the rest. I ignored her and went straight to Athena. I knelt down on one knee next to the chair she was seated in.

She looked at me and I could see she was about to question me on why her daughter was lying still in my arms.

"Lady Athena, when I went to retrieve your daughter, I found her about to end her life out of grievance for Percy. Luckily, I arrived in time to stop her. Your daughter is merely unconscious. Asleep, if you will, in my arms. I assure you no harm came to her when I intervened," I said as respectfully as I could.

"Oh Annabeth, " she said with a sad sigh.

I gently handed her off to Chiron so he could lay her down in her cabin.

"Thank you, Warpath. I don't think anyone else could handle anymore loss on this day. I'm so grateful you were able to get to my daughter in time. Thank you for saving her." Athena said with tears in her eyes.

"If there is anything I can do for you, all you need is ask." She added as an afterthought.

"My Lady, no thanks are necessary. I can see everyone has been through a lot today. I offer my most sincerest condolences. I must admit, at first I was worried that it was I who might have killed this Percy fellow. Had I done so, I believe my stay here would be less hospitable. I was quite relieved that that was not the case. As for your daughter, I have no desire to watch anyone else die today. Especially not your daughter." I say in a kind voice. I can tell she is emotionally exhausted and still a little over what had occurred earlier. I had an idea that might help her lighten up.

"She is quite beautiful. Just like her mother." I add, taking Athena's hand that lay on her lap in my own. I wrap my gloved hand around her soft fingers and give them a gentle squeeze. I saw Athena blush and her delicate cheeks turn a deep pink as she took a sudden interest in her lap. A small smile playing at her luscious red lips as she looked up at me.

"Also, I would prefer to keep the death to a minimum, at least until the war starts." I add in a more upbeat voice that made Athena smile and let out a small laugh. She gave me a warm grateful smile. We sat there next to each other talking to one another until everyone decided that it was time to call it a day.

"Well, I'm afraid I should retire for the night." She said sadly.

"Will you be staying here at camp or will you be leaving for your palace on Olympus?" I ask.

"Father believes it best if we stay here with our children so that we may be better prepared lest the enemy launch a surprise attack. Also, it would be beneficial to spend some time bonding with our children now. It is likely that not all of them will make it out of this war alive, if any of us." She replied solemnly.

"The troops and myself will do our upmost to help best prepare your children for this war and also look out for them during battles. It is not our first priority, but we will do what we can. You have nothing to worry about, my Lady. This army has been through worse and come out victorious. You will survive. We are strongest when we work together." I reply warmly.