Chapter 9 Meeting the Witch

After a long afternoon of preparing food, I sat on my bed and stared down at my fingers. I was feeling so many emotions all at once. I was mainly nervous to prepare food for Marcus's mother.

I wonder what she is like? I hope she is nothing like Marcus...

"What are you even doing right now?" My reflection in the mirror asked from across the room. His mother wasn't coming to meet me or anything special like that. I was basically Marcus's maid.. Nothing special about me at all. I frowned and immediately didn't like the reaction I was giving to that thought. I jumped when I heard a knock at my door.

I opened the door and sucked in a breath. Marcus looked...

Ravishing..

He ran a hand through his wavy locks and cocked his eyebrow, "My mother will be here soon."

I nodded and brushed my fingers nervously against the only simple dress I owned. I looked down thinking Marcus would leave and I could get back to worrying in peace. I felt his finger touch the bottom of my chin. I lifted my head and could only imagine the confused look that was plastered on my face.

His eyes were soft but I still couldn't read the emotion behind them. It seemed as if we had stood there forever in deep silence when the door bell rang. He dropped his hand and cleared his throat. My face grew red with embarrassment and I quickly took a step back.

"I think that's your mother.." I said.

He nodded and started to walk away.

I went to shut my door when he stopped suddenly, "Addie?"

I lifted my head up and opened the door a bit further.

He turned around slowly and opened his mouth and shut it again. I cocked my head and looked at him curiously.

"What is it Marcus?"

He looked at me once again and opened his mouth. This time he spoke, "I would like for you to eat dinner with my mother and I."

My mouth dropped open.

He shook his head and laughed. "You must think I am crazy."

I stepped out of my door way and grabbed onto his sleeve. "No. It's not that. It's just I don't understand why you are being so kind to me? I'm no good to you once I have paid off my debt."

He looked down at me and grabbed onto my hand that was clutching his sleeve.

"Addie, I-"

We both jumped apart when the door bell rang again. He straightened his tie and gave me a firm look. "Eat with me. That's an order."

I narrowed my eyes and walked past him in a hurry.

The door rang for probably the fifth time. This time the ringer didn't sound as patient. I hurriedly rushed down the stairs. I reached the door knob and stopped, my heart was thudding against my chest so hard it hurt. I looked up at the top of the stair case and saw Marcus watching me with much amusement in his eyes. He nodded and I took that as an invitation to open the door.

I opened the door widely and smiled. I almost gasped in surprise at the woman standing impatiently in front of me. This woman who I assumed would be old and wrinkly like most woman her age, had beautiful tight skin and long elegant hair. I noticed how there was almost no grey in her hair. I heard a cough behind her and took my eyes off of the old woman. My eyes widened slightly because I couldn't believe how beautiful the girl was behind her.

The girl appeared to be in her early twenties. She was twirling her long blonde hair around a flawlessly manicured finger. I had to look away when I accidentally made eye contact with angry blue eyes.