Job search

It was an unusually cheery morning in the halls of Virginia state university. The first snow of the season was falling in soft, fluffy clumps. In the courtyard, people were dancing and throwing snowballs at each other, their laughter carrying all the way into the dorm of one Jack Frost. 

Despite the fun atmosphere outside, Jack couldn't find it in himself to be apart of the winter cheer. He was staring at a pile of paperwork on his desk, next to several beer cans that his roommate Loki had left laying around. Loki was a senior here at Virginia state, it was his last year and he was almost ready to start up his own restaurant. He, along with Jack were trying to major in the culinary arts. Loki had big dreams of becoming the owner of a five star restaurant and had recently quit his old job to take on a better paying job at a more well known restaurant. Jack however wanted to open up his own bakery, ever since he was little he had loved baking. He was just starting out at college and he definitely hadn't anticipated all the money. His good grades had gotten him a couple scholarships, but even with that money he still had to take out student loans. He had $12,000 to pay back now and he had no idea what he was going to do. He had to move away from hometown of Burgess and with that his old job (Which wasn't much anyway) and now no one would hire him. He supposed it was because of his hair. 

When Jack was about fifteen he had been in an ice-skating accident. The ice had broken and he had fallen in and almost drowned. He had been so terrified, that his hair had turned completely white. Now most places think he was a delinquent who dyed his hair strange colors for attention. Every place he could find locally wouldn't hire him. 

While he was busy sulking, Jack didn't notice when Loki slipped back into the dorm with an advertisement in hand. 

"Hey Jackie. I think I've found the perfect solution to your problem!" Jack looked up and stared at Loki, who was still wearing his new chef outfit even though his shift had ended two hours ago. Loki shoved the ad in Jack's face so he could read it. Jack took the paper and glanced over it. In a flowing script were the words 'All Hallows coffee shop, now hiring!' Jack threw the ad on the floor and went back to glaring out of the window. 

"You forget that I still have freaky hair. No one wants to hire a 'delinquent'." Jack made air quotes while he talked, mocking what the many businesses managers had whispered to their coworkers as he had walked out of their establishment. Jack's attitude did nothing to deter Loki's enthusiasm. 

"That's just it though!" He exclaimed leaping like a gazelle over to Jack's chair. 

"I'm such a genius, I have no idea why I didn't think of this earlier but that's the place I used to work at. I can ask the owner to give you a chance." While Loki was jumping around and looking pleased with himself, Jack's eyes widened. 

"Really? You could do that for me?" Jack usually never had reason to be thankful for his mischief causing roommate, but if there was ever a time for it, it was now. Loki lost his smile and shook his head. 

"No Jack, I can't do that...Because I already did!" Loki's chaotic laughter filled the dorm room and Jack could do nothing but stare at the crazed maniac he shared a room with. 

"What do you mean you already did?" Jack had a sneaking suspicion he wasn't going to like the answer. 

"Well on my way back from work I stopped in and saw the sign, so I talked the owner into letting giving you an interview, as the cook, might I add." Jack stood up from his chair, the Winter spirit finally catching up with him. 

"When's my interview, then?" Loki just smiled and held up a finger. 

"It's in one hour!" Jack stopped moving all together before him and Loki looked at each other in realization.