Chapter One

Soft sun Light shone through the wooden panels of the blinds making long shadows in the room.

Effie began to stir and slowly she opened her eyes and tried to take in her surroundings in her apartment for the last time. Effie glanced at her nightstand, which contained her alarm clock, and there was a photo of Effie and Haymitch smiling at the camera happy and carefree, Effie without her Capitol make-up and Haymitch in a plain t-shirt and jeans but you could see the love they shared for each other. Effie sighed as she turned to look up at the ceiling letting her mind wonder to Haymitch and how he was going to react about her leaving District 12 for good.

She pictured several different scenarios imagining how He would react but each time they ended up with Haymitch losing it and begging her to stay. Effie pushed the thoughts out of her mind and decided to get up and start packing away her District 12  life into small boxes. Effie got out of bed and stripped it of all the sheets and bedding which she would wash only leaving the cold and empty bed. Effie took a shower letting the warm water wash over her as she thought about the past and how happy she was and how easily it was all taken away. She packed away most of her books and personal things and clothing.

Effie was in the middle of packing when she felt another wave of nausea but tried pushing it a side like she always did, the nausea washed over her stronger this time making everything in the room spin and Effie began to feel faint and rather clammy. She took deep breaths but the nausea was getting stronger and minutes later She rushed to the restroom pushing the door open as she rushed in and bent down over the toilet and emptied her stomach of the vile that it had rejected. Effie sat next to the toilet feeling rather ill but she just put it down to nerves.

Once Effie felt the nausea beginning to fade she got up flushed away the contents of her stomach that her body rejected again. Effie wiped her mouth with the soft toilet roll, made her way over to the sink, and looked in the mirror seeing herself looking so pale and fragile. Effie took one more look at her face to make sure all the sick was gone. Once she was sure she felt a bit better, she carried on packing but the longer the day went on the more ill she began to feel. Nevertheless, she needed to pack because she could not live in District 12  any longer now she had nothing left that was pulling her back here.

4 hours later Effie had managed to pack her 2 years of life into several boxes. Effie loaded the car with the last box and locked the car and walked back up stairs to her apartment and took once last look seeing all the happy memories flash in front of her as she entered each room and each memory was with Haymitch and how happy he made her but that all came to an end because of one stupid mistake. Effie wondered into the empty lounge, which contained just the basics, which were once covered with her things that were now long gone as if no one had been there at all. Effie looked round the room feeling sad because the last thing she remembered in this room was the hurt and pain in her broken heart the night Haymitch told her that they should take a break and Effie remembered that night well as she looked round the room.

FLASH BACK

A few days earlier:

Effie was sitting on the sofa studying her new hairstyle magazine when she heard a knock at the door. Effie sighed shutting her magazine, quickly looked at the time which read 9pm. Who could be calling this time of night Effie thought to herself as she walked to the front door slowly opening the door to see a drink Haymitch standing in the hallway with tears in his eyes.

"Haymitch, what's wrong?" Effie asked opening the door to him more.

"Can I come in Eff?" Effie nodded stepping as side letting Him in and closing the door behind her.

Haymitch barely able to walk in a straight line walked into the lounge and over to the window which looked out to the victors village entrance . Effie walked into the lounge making Haymicth turn round to face Effie with Tears falling silently down his cheeks.

"Haymitch, what's wrong?" Effie walked over to Haymitch and placed her hand on his arm.

"Effie, I think we should cool it for a while" Haymitch  looked at the floor rather than look at Effie.

"Are you seeing someone else?"

"No, I think we should just take a break, that's all"

"What, do you mean cool it? Are you breaking up with me Haymitch?"

"Effie, I..." Haymitch never got to finish his sentence.

"Just get the hell out of my apartment," Effie screamed with tears falling down her cheeks.

"Eff..."

"Just get the hell out, now"

"Effie, I'm sorry I love you with all my heart, it's not you it's me, I just need time to think things over that's all," Haymitch said holding his hand over his heart. Effie shoved Haymitch to the door and opened it once he was on the other side of the door Effie said the final thing to Haymitch.

"the only thing left to do Haymitch is for me to forgive and forget, I want to forgive you and I want to forget you" Effie slammed the door shut in Haymitch's  face only to never see him again since that night.

END OF FLASH BACK

Effie felt tears slip down her cheeks as she walked towards the front door taking one last backwards glance before she shut the door behind her and posted the keys under the door and walked along the hall way and down the steps and opened the front door and closed it behind her. Effie got into the car sighed and then pulled away to finally leave District 12  and her one true love behind for good and start her life over leaving the hurt and pain behind her or so she thought.