Chapter Three

Effie waited patiently for her mother to open the door and a few minutes later Alma opened her front door to see Effie standing on the doorstep and she clearly had been crying.

"What, do you want Effie?"

"Nice to see you to mom, I've left 12 for good and I have left Haymitch behind and well I need somewhere to stay until I get myself back on my feet" Effie glanced at her mother who nodded and opened the door unwillingly for Effie to step in side.

Nothing had changed since She last saw the house which pleased her as she wasn't one for change and to be honest she rather have no change at all but at the moment she was coping with a lot of change and to Effie change wasn't good.

"Your room is just as she you left it Effie,"Alma said making Effie jump slightly; Effie placed her hand over her chest feeling her heartbeat rise slightly due to the surprise.

"Ok" She nodded her head slightly.

"Well don't just stand there all day, let's get you back home and settled in" Alma said placing her hand on Effie's arm.

Alma and Effie went outside to the large peacekeepers  parked car, started unloading her boxes, and carried them into the house and into her old bedroom, which was just how she remembered it. Avox staff helped to bring in the boxes.

Effie put the box down on the floor, sat down on her old four poster king size bed, and sighed as she looked round the room. Alma watched as Effie sat there in silence looking round her old room. Alma cleared her throat bringing Effie back to reality.

"Its good having you home Effie Darling," Alma said smiling at her daughter and Effie nodded.

"Yeah" was all Effie could manage to say because she was not as happy to be home like Her mother was having her home but it was somewhere to live until she could afford her own place.

"I better get back to your father, but how about we have a mother and daughter night tonight?" Alma asked hoping Effie would say yes.

"Ok" Effie hated feeling like this, as if she was a small child again when she was a grown woman free to make her own choices and her mother clearly had that control on her once again as soon as she had stepped through the door.

Alma left Effie alone and headed back to her husband feeling happy that she had her Daughter home again and wanted to really make ago of things and get back their mother and daughter bond they used to share before.

Effie heard the door shut knowing that her mother was finally leaving her alone. She lay back on the bed and looked at the ceiling thinking about Haymitch and how much she had missed him already but she would have to get used to that emptiness in her life now that Haymitch was in her past and miles back in 12.

Effie began to unpack her things placing her clothes in the chest of draws and hanging things in her wardrobe. Effie reached into one of the boxes and pulled out a book. She carefully rubbed her hand over the top of the book smiling as she thought back to her first job as escort a couple of years ago now  and how much she loved it there but her mind soon wondered back to Haymitch. What was He doing right now? Would he come round her apartment only to be informed by locals that she had moved on and had not left a forwarding address? Effie carried on placing each book carefully on to the shelf when her cell buzzed.

Effie  grabbed her cell out of her bag only to see Haymitch's caller Id but she needed to hear his voice the one last time to move on with her life.

"Effie, I've be trying to call you the last couple of days but your home phone is no longer connected and well I was worried about you and I hear your using your annoying Capitol accent again"

"I'm fine Haymitch; I just needed to hear your voice for one last time"

"What do you mean for one last time Eff, what's going on?"

"We are over Haymitch, you said so yourself the other day and well I have moved on but just needed to say goodbye"

"Stop talking rubbish, I'm coming over to yours right now to sort this out"

"You can't I'm not in 12 Haymitch. I'm back home, I loved you Haymitch and you crushed my heart"

"Eff I 'm sorry I was a complete Idiot, please come back I need you, are you in The Capitol for a break and coming back to 12?"

"Don't be stupid Haymitch, I'm back in the Capitol for good and I am never coming back to 12 I'm sorry"

"Effie Please don't do this, I love you" Effie could hear Haymitch sobbing down the other end of the line along with a clinking noise which she knew too well as alcohol.

"I always know I never wanted this , I never thought it could happen, you acted like you wanted this but, then you lead me on and all the broken promises I won't miss I'm finished" tears began to slip silently down her cheeks as she heard Haymitch's  heartbroken plea for her to come back.

"I never meant to mislead you and I thought you wanted this too, I am begging you Effie please don't do this"

"I' m sorry Haymitch this is goodbye, don't ever call me again, I have forgiven you but I want to forget you and your just pulling me back when all I want is to move on. goodbye Haymitch I love you and always will"

Effie ended the call and threw her cell phone hard when it landed on to the bed continued to vibrate with Haymitch's caller Id on the screen but She just curled up on the bed in the foetal position and cried her heart out over the love she just lost.

Effie must have drifted off to sleep because when she opened her eyes Alma was laying on the bed softly rubbing her hand over Her tear stained face removing any lose strands of blonde hair from her face.

"Mom? Dad?" Effie asked with sleep still clearly audible in voice.

"Shhh... It's alright darling," Alma said bending down, placing a soft kiss to Effie's temple whilst her father watched his wife soothe his heartbroken daughter.