Chapter Four

Since the day that Her mother comforted Her, all Effie had done was tried to avoid her mother or said as little to her as possible.  but Alma wasn't having any of it and when she saw Effie she would always try to make conversation but Effie would walk away and storm off to her room or just out of the house knowing that if she stayed talking to Her mother. They would end up talking about the one thing Effie was trying so hard to avoid.

Since that Effie ended it with Haymitch, he had kept calling her every day trying to get Her back. Every time She would see His name on the caller Id she would just ignore the call. Several times when Effie was in the shower her phone would ring and Alma or her husband would see Haymitch's  number on the screen but just ignore the call and never told Effie that He had called that day.

Today on this cold, miserable and rainy day was Effie's  first day as a free woman and to be honest she was actually looking forward to it knowing that it would get her away from her broken life  and possibly help others who clearly needed her such as her father.  Effie woke up and looked outside to see the rain drizzling down the windowpane but nothing was going to ruin her first day. She got out of bed stretched and yawn glancing at clock, which read 6:30am. Effie got up and walked down the hall and down the stairs and into the kitchen, poured herself a large black coffee only to turn her nose up at smell because it was making her feel sick which wasn't like her at all because she usually lived on coffee throughout the day but today she felt rather sick. Effie put the coffee back and grabbed a piece of fruit only to take a small bite when she felt the nausea rising in her body, which made her feel dizzy and rather sick. Effie clasped on to the side to keep her balance and closed her eyes taking deep breaths. Once she was sure, the nausea had gone she took another bite of fruit only to feel the nausea come flooding back but this time she could not hold out any longer.

Effie rushed upstairs with her hand over her mouth passing her mother and father on the stairs who frowned at Effie who shoved her way passed and rushed into the restroom. Alma stood on the stairs only to hear Effie being violently sick in the restroom. Alma  shuddered and then carried on down the stairs and went into the kitchen.
" I'm sure she is just fine darling" Alma gave a small smile to her husband.
" your probably right" Alma smiled trying to take her mind of her poor baby who was clearly sick.
Effie  sat on the floor next to the toilet and leant against the tub feeling clammy and rather dizzy and lightheaded. She shut her eyes and kept doing her deep breaths which seemed to help a little but once again she felt the nausea wave coming back and within minutes she was back puking but there was nothing left for her to bring up other than stomach acid which burned her throat and made her gag even more.

"Oh please let it stop" Effie said pleading.

10 minutes later She left the restroom, walked down stairs and back into the kitchen looking pale, and covered in sweat. Her father looked up from the kitchen table placing his newspaper on the table.

"Maybe you shouldn't help me today, your obviously not well darling" He  said tenderly.

"I'm fine honestly dad anyway I can't let you down not when you have the most important job in whole of Panem" Effie  knew she looked rough but just put it down to being nervous for her first day.

"Effie darling, I suggest you stay in bed today and I know your father understands that you're not well" alma said gesturing for her husband to agree.

"Mom , will you just drop it, I'm fine" Effie grabbed a piece of fruit and started finishing off the fruit turning her back to her mother and father walking back up stairs and heading into the shower.

Alma knew something was clearly happening to Effie and she had an idea but pushed that thought to the back of her mind decided it could be a stomach bug but her instinct was telling her that it was simply more than a stomach bug.

Later on that day Effie headed to her fathers large office to report for her temporary job to her help her father until it was reaping season again.
Effie knocked on her fathers office door and she heard him Call out in his deep voice " come in" Effie opens the door and poked their head round the door " hi dad, it's me I'm ready for duty" Effie said walking into the room more and closing the door behind her.
" feeling better?" He asked tenderly.
" I'm feeling much better yes thank you father"
" good, now I would like you to sort through paper work for me seeing if everything is all present and correct" Effie nodded " of course" Effie picked up a large pile of papers off her fathers desk and headed to the small office at the other end of the room.
Effie placed the papers on the desk but they fell to the floor and a Avon came rushing over to her help her pick them up off the floor. She smiled and nodded thanks to the Avox who clearly was a young girl not much younger than herself with piercing blue eyes and long flowing red hair.
Effie got straight to work whilst her father held a small meeting with whom Effie presumed could  be the new games maker for the up and coming hunger games, after all her father was none other than president snow and everything would be ran past him as he was Panem royalty or God of Panem as he would refer to himself quite often as.

Once she was finished she decided to head out to the town as,,she had not been out since she got back into the Capitol a couple of days ago. Effie got into the peacekeepers jeep and the drove her to the town where as asked them to drop her a blocks before the town so she could wonder along aimlessly passing shops and people carrying large shopping bags with designer boutique names written on them. And this would usually excite Effie at just the thought but today nothing could work so she walked along the sidewalk let getting her feet carrying her as he mind drifted to other things.

Effie Walked into the store feeling uncomfortable as she walked round for a few minutes picking up a few essentials when she saw it. She walked over and looked only to realize that are several different ones.  Being a capital escort she was used to all sorts of test but this sort of test was her first time and she was stuck on which one to choose.

"Can I help you with anything at all Ma'am?" Effie turned to see a young girl with a friendly face smiling at her.

"I'm actually fine thank you"

"Okay, if you're sure" the young girl went to walk away when Effie decided to trust her "actually..., I'm stuck on which one to choose"

"Okay, well we have the double test or singles tests, we also have ones that can tell how far gone you are and they are digital and the best ones out there and the most accurate too" the young girl said picking up the boxes for Effie to look at.

"Okay" She looked at the tests in her hands for a few minutes.

"I think I will take the twin pack, thank you" the young girl walked back to the counter with Effie following behind, the girl started scanning the items through.

"Is that your first time buying one of these?"  Effie was rather taken back by the girls' question and was not sure how to answer.

"Erm ... Yes it is actually, how can you tell?"

"I knew it the moment you walked in and I mean I see loads of girls buying them every day with no embarrassment what so ever but, you were different" knowing Effie's  slight embarrassment the girl put the test inside a paper bag and then out it in the  bag with her other items

"That will be $15.99 please" Effie handed over the money and the girl handed over the goods and Effie gave the girl a small smile.

"Good luck, I hope you get the results your after"

"Thanks and Thank you very much for your help you were very helpful" Effie walked away and once Effie  was in the outside the shop she continued to slowly wonder along the sidewalk letting the fresh air fill her lungs taking in deep breaths, How much she missed this fresh clean and crisp air, which was. A lot different to being in 12 , the air was thick from the coal mines and your lungs filled with it and at times it was hard to breath so it was a welcome relief to be able toil her lungs with such fresh air.