Chapter Two

The train ride to The Capitol  was long and tiring to Effie it was a never-ending journey but the further she got away from District 12 the more it was pulling her back into Haymitch's  arms but she had to be strong.  As soon as Effie passed the "District 12" Sign it, was then that Effie began to let the tears fall freely down her cheeks as the train drove on finally leaving District 12  knowing that there was no way she could come back to 12 where she lost her heart to her greatest love. Effie carried on passing through several districts but each was a complete blur to Effie as the train carelessly passed through them.

As the train was pulling into The Capitol seeing that, welcoming sign "District 1", she sighed not wanting to be back in 12 but she did not really have a choice. She wondered how her mother and father would react seeing her finally coming back home because the last thing she remembered was the "black out "and her mother being driven all the way to her small apartment from 1 to 12  and the argument they had which caused them to fall out.

Flash back

Effie was curled up on the sofa with a blanket and was in the middle of watching Panem today with Ceaser flickerman when the lights had gone out and the whole of 12  had lost power plunging every district 12 Resident into complete darkness. Effie pulled back the blanket, walked carefully into the kitchen grabbing some matches, and began to light a few candles taking her out of the pitch black. Effie grabbed one of the candles, walked to her lounge window, and looked down at the victors village in complete darkness when there was a knock at the door.

She  carried the candle with her as she walked to the door and opened it slowly not knowing who it was until she saw her mother's face glowing in the light from the candle. She opened the door for her mother who walked in and stood in the lounge looking round the apartment.

"I love what you have done to the place, Effie," Alma said as she looked round the lounge.

"Thank you mother, how did you get here?"

"I was driven and walked the 3 blocks to get here"

"You took peacekeeper transport for me?"

"Yeah, well I wanted to see how my daughter is getting on"

"Oh, I know what's going on, someone told you and dad about me and Haymitch  dating didn't they"

"Yes they did as a matter of fact and I am shocked at you Effie dating a former victor, you of all people should know that it is wrong to start any relationship between a escort  and mentor . That's the first thing they tell you not to do in Escort school of charm Effie dear" Alma could feel herself getting hot and flustered.

"Oh Mom, how dare you lecture me about who I date, yes I know when I was back in high school you chose who I dated and who I couldn't date but not anymore. I love him mom and he loves me"

"Don't be so stupid Effie, it's just young love and that's all and it won't last, Me and your father don't want you seeing him anymore and that's final," Alma demanded.

"I'm sorry mom but I am not just going to stop Loving Haymitch and it is not just young love your wrong. I think its better that you go and thanks for stopping by mom," Effie said sarcastically to Alma who put her hand on her hip and shook her head.

"He's is just using you Darling, wake up and when he's had enough of you I won't be there to put you back together again. Really think about it Effie and once you have made the right choice  we will be at home waiting" Alma turned round and walked to the door  taking one last look at Effie who clearly had tears in her eyes but Alma just walked away and shut the door turning her back on Effie.

That dark and cold night Effie cried herself to sleep knowing that her mother was probably right but she did really love Haymitch and hoped that he loved her back as much as she loved him.

End of Flash back

Without realizing Effie had arrived in District 1 platform,  she was picked up by a peacekeeper, when she pulled up outside her childhood home where she once felt happy and safe but the only thing she felt now looking at that building as an adult was sadness and a loss of childhood but, she needed some where to live whilst she started working as an escort for district 1 until she could afford her own place and start living her life.

She  got out of the car and looked up at the large white house with a large drive way and perfectly cut lawn and the freshly painted painted building covered in white roses but it wasn't as perfect as it seemed on this perfectly groomed palace. Effie walked up to the pathway and headed to the front door. Effie took a deep breath and knocked on the door.