Prologue

"I sense them," the male Lucario announced. "They're coming now." He exhaled, gazing at the surrounding trees around him. Now, they seemed to be darker and more unwelcoming than they used to. The female Lucario next to him tensed.

"But... What about--"

"We have to get him out of here!" he interrupted her worried speech assertively. Seeing her shocked and pained reaction, he lowered his voice. "For his safety, we must." The female took a deep inhale, which soon turned into quiet sobs.

"You should do it then," she suggested between breaths. "After all, we both knew that he liked you better." She forced an understanding smile upon her face.

"No... Don't say that. He loved you just as much," the male assured. Suddenly, faint growls echoed through the area, sending shudders down their spines.

"Go! I'll hold them off if they come too close!" the female said. The male Lucario hesitated, but nodded in compliment as he ran over to the cave of his home.

In the back, a bed of leaves cradled a small Riolu. He didn't have the same yellow pelt as his father or mother, but just a regular light blue coat that covered his body. The Lucario nudged him gently, causing the little Riolu to open his eyes groggily.

"D-Dad? What's going on...?" he mumbled. The Lucario quickly helped him up.

"Listen, son. Your mother and I have sensed some trouble nearby. I want you to run over to the barren earthside. The ground there will cause a disadvantage to our enemies," he explained. "Run until you see the river, and be careful and quick when going across it." The Riolu perked himself up.

"B-but! Dad, I want to help you and Mom fight!" he pleaded. "I'm strong!" The Lucario pet his head.

"I know you are, but these foes are different from the one currently living in the forest. They are ruthless, heartless creatures who hurt with no mercy... With no purpose. They're dangerous Pokemon, and you must flee from here quickly." The young Riolu had the strong urge to argue back, but scolded himself to keep silent. He slowly took his father's paw and followed him outside into the forest. The dead leaves draped the moist ground with fear and anxiety, and their feet crunched on top of them solemnly.

The Riolu stared at the familiar grassy plains in the distance. "Remember when we used to play catch there every day when you were little?" the Lucario asked. The small Pokemon grinned and nodded.

"You were so good back then!" he beamed. The Lucario smiled gently.

"Now look at you. You beat me every time," he praised. The Riolu smiled with every ounce of pride he could muster.

"When this is all over, can we play catch again with Mom?" he asked. The Lucario tensed nervously, still plastering a calm face, but then stopped to kneel down next to his child.

"Sure we can," he said.

"Promise?" The Riolu gazed at his father with wide eyes pleadingly. Reluctantly and regretfully, the Lucario exhaled.

"One day," he managed to reply. "Now let's go, we're almost to where I must leave you." The two made their way to a big pine tree before the Lucario released his paw from the Riolu's. "Alright, it's time to go. Run as fast as you can to the river and don't look back." The small pup hesitated.

"But what about you and Mom? Will you two be okay?" The Lucario soon sensed the enemies, even closer than before. He pushed him forward.

"We'll be fine. Please go!" he ushered. The Riolu's ears drooped in worry as he scooted away. He began to walk a good distance away, only to look back at his father, whose golden-colored pelt seemed dustier than before, who seemed older and weaker than he had ever seen him, whose eyes were pained with grief and heartache. He waved to his son before turning to run back to his partner.