Part 10

The blurriness slowly cleared from Avian's flummoxed eyes. The moon wasn't in the sky like it was moments ago, but instead, it was replaced with the gleaming yellow ball, tearing away at the other tiny stars in the black night. The fatigue was starting to fade from his skinny body. Zoar promised him that they wouldn't travel that day until he was completely reenergized again, and Avian, instead on insisting that they keep moving like he would have, agreed to stay in one place for a while. He honestly wanted to spend more time with the Luxray.

Avian was beginning to recognize some of his surroundings from when his parents took him out for walks and berry-picking. He still knew that his home was still far away, yet he was aware that his time with Zoar might come to an end when they reach his cave.

Whatever happened, he knew.

Maybe he could ask Zoar to stay with him, he thought. But the child remembered that Zoar had a pack. It sounded miserable there, yet maybe he would want to return? They were the Pokemon who raised him from an egg. He had someone to go back to, unlike Avian who had no one to look after him anymore like his parents did. The forest was a big place full of predators, like that Tyranitar. Or Zoar's pack.

If they found him again, who knew what would happen to him? Zoar might not even be there to save him again. Avian wondered if it was for the best that Zoar left him at his cave.

But Zoar... How would he react? When he didn't see two parents waiting at the cave's entrance with open arms and tears of joy in their eyes? When he realize that all of the risks he had taken were fruitless? Avian couldn't even imagine; he had never seen Zoar angry before. He was always smiling at him, regardless of whether Avian messed up or completed a task. Even when dealing with predators, he kept his cool and swiftly attacked the enemy no matter what. Was it possible for him to be mad at all, he wondered?

Vivid memories clashed in his mind of the beady red and yellow eyes from that night, and they seemed to morph into Zoar's face for a second. With a shiver, the Riolu held back the scared tears and shook his head. He didn't sleep at all last night, leaving him even weaker than usual. Avian covered his face with his paw, trembling.

Zoar, who had been washing his fur of leftover dirt, caught his eye at the tear-filled Pokemon. His chest flooded with worry; he looked like he was thinking about something terrifying. Hastily, he padded over to his side. "Hey, kit... Is everything okay?" he asked nervously. Avian had to look away, embarrassed of himself.

"N-n..." he mumbled.

"What's wrong? Ave, look at me, what's wrong? Why are you crying?" he questioned, a bit more firmly this time. The child shut his eyes, turning his head to face him.

"I..." I can't say it...! "It's just... Before... With the rocks and everything," he lied. "That was really scary..." The Luxray let out a distressed huff, giving him a knowing look.

"I know you're not telling me everything," Zoar said, keeping his tender expression. "I feel like you've been wanting to tell me something for a while. You know you can tell me anything. I promise I'll listen, and I'll try to help you as best as I can."

Avian stayed silent. Zoar looked desperate, and he noticed that he looked somewhat hurt. Is that because of me? he pondered. Avian sometimes wondered how the Pokemon became so smart; how he could see right through him into his emotions. His father and mother tended to do it too... It was probably a grown-up thing.

But it didn't matter now.

That look he wore... It was so sincere. And so harmless. Maybe, he thought, it was right to think that Zoar could never be angry. Maybe, even if they were not pure, some Pokemon could still be truly good and kind. Everything that this Pokemon had put forth for Avian only showed these traits. When he told him about his goal, he understood. He knew exactly how he felt, and wanted to help, like he claimed.