Part 12

Avian had noticed the sudden change in weather. The two had taken shelter in his cave from the menacing weather. It was odd, Zoar and him had been through some light showers of rain over the week, but never as... Electrifying as this one. The aura around him was going absolutely crazy, bouncing and zigzagging all over the place from the high voltages of electricity. He also noticed Zoar's poised demeanor; looking acutely concentrated and alert of something. The Riolu didn't mean to pry, but he had to know.

"Wh-what's happening, Zoar?" Avian questioned, palpably worried. Zoar didn't respond. He just kept surveying the area with his fur bristling from possible threat. Avian shook his front leg. "Zoar, please, tell me what's going on!" he begged.

Zoar stayed quiet for a few more moments as he sniffed the air. When his pupils dilated, he pushed Avian behind him with his paw. "Stay behind me, Ave," he commanded. Avian began to perspire rapidly.

"But why, Zoar?!" he demanded out of fear, completely disregarding his manner at that moment. He heard Zoar exhale in distress before he turned around and responded.

"...It's my pack," he murmured. The hairs on Avian's body stood up in shock.

"Your... Pack?"

"They've tracked our scent. They're trying to ambush us!"

Avian's heart lurched in dread. His mind denied everything that was happening, his emotions turning into an uncontrollable frenzy.

"No! This can't... It can't...!" he stammered. Zoar glanced away. Avian shivered immensely, recalling the fate of his parents because of them, how they were planning on eating him alive back at their pride. He tensed anxiously, refuting the tortuous feeling he felt that night creeping up his spine. "Wh-what are we gonna do?!" His voice was but a frightened whisper.

The howling wind blended with the patters of Luxrays under the darkening clouds. It gave off an ominous feeling that shocked the two into silence. Zoar could feel his pack crawling and bounding around them in the shadows, he even remembered participating in it once a long time ago. They would scare their prey into thinking they were imagining things, and then unleash their attack. But why were they doing it now, when they knew well that Zoar had knowledge about their tactics?

He bit his lip, realizing what he must do.

For the first time, in a long time, he was scared about the outcome. He imagined it happening, yet... Now? When it seemed like life gave him another chance for redemption of a cruel, encapsulated life? Now it felt as if it were being torn away from his grasp, all too quickly for him to accept.

He glanced at Avian and finally spoke.

"Listen, you need to get as far away as possible, okay?" he explained. The pup's eyes widened, like he expected them to. Zoar immediately began to regret his order, but pushed forward-- it was for Avian's own safety. "No matter what you see or hear, you just keep going and don't look back!" He could only watch as Avian's pride was slowly being crushed like a delicate clump of sand. His eyes flared with a betrayal-like emotion.

"Zoar... How could you say that...?!" he exclaimed defiantly. "I told you! I don't want to run anymore! I can't run! After what happened with my parents?! With you...?!" The Riolu clenched his fists tightly. "I can't afford to flee from my loved ones while they fight for me! I have to fight too!"

"Ave, you don't understand! You have no idea what they're capable of doing to you!" Zoar retorted with a serious face. He couldn't sugar-coat it anymore, he had to scare him away. "They show no mercy, they'll play around with you until you're dead in front of their feet! No matter what you do, their too powerful!"