11

The army started with 600 Silurians. The casualties were many. And all it took was three bombs to the stomach to finally kill the monster. That terrifyingly ginormous worm with the sharp teeth was taken down...by three bombs to the stomach. Yet, somehow, we still lost more than half the army.

The Doctor rests his hands on Eldane's shoulders. "I'm sorry. I am so, so sorry," he says.

Eldane shakes his head. "We can repopulate. Go back into hibernation. The losses are sad, certainly...but cannot mourn. Mourning only makes a person vulnerable. And we cannot be that."

We all nod understandingly. Bryan looks at Eldane, his face devoid of emotion. He's trying to be strong. He says, "You're right. We can't mourn. We may have lost great warriors, but they'll live on in our memories."

Eldane averts his gaze to the smoking wreckage that is Manchester. "One can only hope. After all, hope is stronger than fear."

⌛️⏳⌛️

We drop off Eldane, and get back to the TARDIS. "Hey, Doctor?" Bryan starts when he closes the doors. "Would it...be okay if I stayed with you? If I became...your companion?"

My heads snaps toward him. No. I want the Doctor's answer to be No. It has to be No. This boy has already wreaked havoc on the Doctor and mine's relationship. If he is to become a permanent installment of the TARDIS, I'm going to be pushed out, I know. The answer is going to be No.

"Yes," the Doctor replies. "As my last connection to my favorite Scottish ginger, you can stay. As the moral compass of the group, you can stay. I would be delighted if you stayed."

Bryan's unsure expression breaks out into one of absolute gratitude. "Great," he responds. He runs up to the console and types something in. His address, I assume. He punches a button and the TARDIS starts up.

When it lands, Bryan bolts into his flat. A moment later, he bursts into the room carrying two suitcases. "I always have these two travel suitcases. In case I'm going anywhere last minute. In case...something amazing happens. Like this."

Feelings seep into my brain. Annoyance at this 20-year-old boy for showing up that morning. Anger at the Doctor for letting him stay. Shame at myself for letting Bryan worm his way into my life, and for not protecting him from the Doctor.

I run to my room, my eyes starting to well up with tears. I'm overwhelmed. I can't do this anymore. When I regenerated, I thought my life was going to get better. I could stay with the Doctor forever, I thought. But ever since I regenerated a month ago, nothing but trouble has knocked on my door.

I slam my door closed and lock it. The Doctor will never see me like this. I curl up under the ultra-soft covers of my bed. I let the tears flow out of me, getting everything out of my system.

In the midst of my crying, I hear a knock at the door. I wipe my eyes. "Who is it?" I ask.

To my surprise, he answers. "It's me, Clara. Can I come in?"

Bryan? Why would Bryan of all people want to see me? The big question: Why would I want to see him? "No! You've caused enough trouble, Doctor-kisser. Go away!" I scream.

"Clara, I'm sorry. He's the one who kissed me! I told him it wasn't right. You know, you're the one who heard me say it! Clara, I didn't mean for all this to happen! I thought I was in trouble, and I saw the TARDIS, so I decided to see the Doctor! I didn't mean to put a bridge between you and the Doctor! I'm sorry!" he says, his voice laced with actual sincerity.

"Why should I believe anything you say! When we were with the Silurian army, you purposely tried to flirt with my boyfriend!"

"I know! I was trying to get back at you because I knew you hated me. That was a mistake. Please, let me in!" Bryan requests, desperate.

"Why should I? Are you going to make out with me so the Doctor will hate you too?"

I hear a sigh. "Clara, I may be bisexual, but that doesn't mean I want to date or kiss every single boy and girl. Just come on!"

I think for a minute. I then make a decision that I'll probably regret. I go over to my door and unlock it. I open it. As soon as I do, Bryan hugs me. "Once again, I am so sorry for everything I've done," Bryan whispers. "Will you forgive me?"

I take Bryan's arms off of me, and inspect him to make sure he's not just acting. "Fine. I will forgive you, but only because you're being nice," I declare matter-of-factly.

Bryan's eyes light up with glee. He asks, "So I can stay here? On the TARDIS? With you and the Doctor?"

"Yes. But let me type up a contract on my laptop, because there need to be some conditions if you're gonna be here 24/7," I tell him. "Now go to the Doctor and tell him I approve. I'm not stupid, you know. I know he asked you to ask me for forgiveness."

Bryan nods and runs off the console room, leaving me to wonder if I have just made the worst decision of my life.