Chapter Seven (Maya's POV)

A lot of time had passed: Homecoming, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Riley's birthday and now Christmas is just a day away.

It was Christmas Eve, and I was sitting at the table in the Matthews' kitchen. Auggie, Riley and I were stringing popcorn for the Christmas tree as we sang along to Frosty the Snowman, which was playing on the radio.

Topanga was working hard on the Christmas dinner. I smelt the heavenly aroma of freshly cooked turkey and gingerbread cookies.

Mr. Matthews was hanging up Christmas ornaments. He was paying most of his attention to his "Cory and Shawn 4eva" ornament. He made sure that the ornament was perfectly polished and shiny. I giggled at how ridiculous he looked.

"Where is Shawn?" Mr. Matthews started freaking out.

"Relax, Cory. Shawn will be here soon," Topanga assured him.

The buzzer in the speaker box went off. Mr. Matthews ran to the speaker box. "Shawn?"

"Nope, it's Josh," I heard Josh's voice from the speaker box. I felt super happy to hear his precious voice again.

Last time he and I were at the the Matthews, we really connected. In fact, we had almost kissed. And now I feel like I might still have feelings for him.

"My brotha!" Mr. Matthews yelled into the speaker box.

"My brotha!" Josh yelled back in reply.

"Come on up," Mr. Matthews spoke once more into the speaker box.

A few moments later, I heard the door bell ring.

"Maya? Would you like to answer the door?" Riley asked.

I stood up, walked slowly to the door, stood in front of it as I quickly fixed my hair, then I decided to open the door. I looked up and then saw him, my blue-eyed Angel.

"Hi," he said, quietly, as we stared into each other's eyes.

"Hi," I replied in a quiet voice, as well.

"Uncle Josh!" Auggie yelled.

Josh stopped looking at me and yelled, "Auggie!" as Auggie ran toward him.

Josh picked up Auggie. He held him with his right arm under Auggie's back and his other arm under his knees. "I'm sorry, Auggie. I can't lift you over my shoulders, anymore."

"Awe," Auggie whined.

"I'm sorry, but you're getting too big," Josh said, putting Auggie back onto the ground. "But you are certainly not to big to wrestle." Josh knelt down and put Auggie in a headlock.

Josh looked at me and I looked at him. Then Riley said, "bay window. Bay window, right now."

We both walked into her room and sat at the bay window.

"What's wrong, Riles?" I asked.

"Nothing," Riley replied. "Nothing at all."

"Then why did you drag me all the way over here?"

"Do you still like my uncle Josh?"

"Of course not, Riles." I looked away from her.

"Okay. If you can look at me right in the eyes and say that to me, then I will believe you."

I looked into Riley's eyes, "Riles, I do not..." I stopped talking. I just couldn't lie to my best friend."Okay, the truth is I... still like Josh."

"You do?" She said, happily.

"Yes... I do."

"Did you ever stop liking him?"

I looked at the ground and then looked at Riley. "I have liked him ever since that Christmas party in 2014. I thought I had stopped liking him after 'the college incident', but when he came to the birthday party... I realized I still had feelings for him. And then..." I stopped talking.

"Then, what?"

"Josh and I almost kissed," I said quietly.

"You what?!" Riley yelled as she stood up.

I sat Riley back down. "Look Riles, it's not that big of a deal. Okay?"

"Yes it is, Maya. You almost kissed him. That is the biggest deal ever!"

"It is?"

Riley nodded.

"What do I do, Riles?" I whispered.

"It's up to you, Maya," she said as she walked to the door. She stopped and then turned around. "You write your own history." She opened the door and then walked out the door, closing it behind her. I just sat there in silence for a little while, thinking about what I was supposed to do.

     .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .

After sitting alone in silence for twenty minutes, I decided to go back to the living room.

I saw Josh walk out of the bathroom after he finished fixing his hair.

"Hey, Maya," he said.

"Hi, Josh," I replied, feeling a little awkward.

"So how have you been?" He asked as we slowly started walking down the hall.

"Uh... pretty good. My grades are definitely improving."

"That's good, Maya. I'm proud of you," he replied as we stopped in the doorway to the kitchen.

"Thanks," I said as I looked into his blue eyes.

"Ooh!" Auggie said as he was sitting at the kitchen table. "Look who's under the mistletoe." Auggie said pointing at us.

Everybody started looking at us. I felt a little embarrassed as Riley and Auggie, my mom and Shawn, Topanga and Mr. Matthews, and Riley's Grandma and Grandpa all stared at us.

Josh and I looked up to see the mistletoe hanging above us, then we laughed nervously. "We don't have to kiss, though. Do we?" I asked.

"Oh, yes. You do," Riley said.

"It's the tradition of the mistletoe," Auggie said.

Everybody continued looking at us.

He leaned in, tucking my hair behind my ear. I started to lean in, too. We leaned in an inch at a time and before I knew it my lips were touching his soft, tender lips. We kissed a second time, a third time, and then a fourth time. We slowly started leaning away. I stared into his gorgeous eyes for a while and then ran away down the hall.

"Maya!" Josh yelled.

Tears started rolling down my face. I ran into Riley's room, crawled out the window and ran down the fire escape.

I couldn't believe that I had just kissed my best friend's Uncle.