Chapter Nine (Riley's POV)

I sat at the bay window. I was thinking about Maya and Uncle Josh when all of a sudden I heard a little tap on the window.

It was Farkle and Lucas. Oh how happy I was to see them. I opened the window.

"Hi, Riles!" Lucas said.

"Merry Christmas!" Farkle said, happily. They both looked so adorable in their little Santa hats.

I just sat there, not responding.

"Ah, what's wrong? Where's Smiley Riley?" Lucas said.

Surprisingly, a grin appeared on my face and I started to giggle. "Stop, I'm trying to feel bad."

"Why on Earth should you, out of all people, feel bad? You're the best friend anyone could ask
for." Lucas replied.

"Yeah. You make us all smile when we feel a bit down,"  Farkle agreed with Lucas.

"Why are you guys here?" I said, suddenly.

"Well, we tried to be like you and Maya and combine our families for a big Christmas Party. And so far it hasn't been going so well," Lucas said.

"'Let's have turkey,'" Farkle said mocking Mrs. Minkus.

"No let's have a roasted
chicken,'" Lucas said mocking Mrs. Friar."Let's have cranberry sauce straight outta the can.'"

"'No let's make it from scratch,'" Farkle said, continuing to mimic his mom's voice.

"So after all of the arguing we tried to find something we could all enjoy. So we decided to go Christmas caroling."

I heard their mom's arguing in the distance. "Let's sing 'O Holy Night'," "No let's sing 'Let it Snow'!"

"As you can see it's not going so well," Lucas said.

"Yeah. I wish we could we have a wonderful Christmas Party like yours," Farkle said.

I turned my head and looked at the ground.

"Oh," I heard Lucas say, quietly. "What's wrong, Riles?" He said as he and Farkle crawled through the window and sat next to me.

I turned my head to face them.

"I tried to help Maya and Uncle Josh  but it didn't turn out so good," I looked down for a little while. "In fact, I feel like I might've made things worse."

"How did you try to help them?" Lucas asked.

"I hung up mistletoe when I knew they would be walking in the doorway together," I replied.

We all sat in silence. I could tell that they had no idea what to say to that.

Lucas placed his hand in mine. He held my hand I immediately started to feel so much better.

"I hope Maya's okay. She ran out so quickly after the kiss," I said, quietly.

"I'm sure she's fine," Lucas assured me.

"I still feel so bad," I spoke, still thinking about Maya and Uncle Josh.

"Maybe it's not as bad as you may think it is," Lucas gave me a kiss on the cheek. A smile appeared on my face.

I could hear Farkle's mom and Lucas's mom arguing again.

"Uh, I think maybe we should get going." Farkle said. "Bye, Riley!" And he crawled out the window.

"Bye, Riley," Lucas whispered.

"Bye." I smiled as he crawled out the window.

"I hope they're okay," I whispered to myself.

     .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .

It was six twenty-seven o'clock and I started to worry even more. "They've been gone for a while. I sure hope they're okay," my grandma said.

"I'm sure they're fine. They've only been gone for twenty minutes," Maya's mom assured her.

Then when we least expected it, they came in through the door, holding hands and smiling lovingly at each other.

We all stared at them. Then my dad finally said something, "Are you guys serious?"

Maya and Josh nodded.

"So, if this relationship works out and you two get married, then Maya would be my sister-in-law?" He said raising his voice just a teensy bit.

Maya and Josh started to laugh.

"And I'm pretty sure that my daughter would never want her best friend to her her aunt," he said pointing at Maya.

"Aunt Maya?" I said.

She gave me a quick giggle, "yes, Peaches?"

"No matter what, I always want you to be happy," I said as I stood next to Maya.

"I know you do. Thank you, Riles." After she replied she gave me a hug.

Then with our arms around each other's back we walked to the bay window. Where she told me the whole story. And everything had worked out the way I had planned.