Chapter Fourteen (Lucas's POV)

I can't believe I graduate today, I thought to myself as I walked to the high school for the graduation ceremony.

Thirty minutes 'til the ceremony starts.

When I had arrived, all of my friends had kindly greeted me with cheerful smiles and hugs.

"Hey, Lucas," Mrs. Matthews said as she and Mr. Matthews walked to me.

"Hi, Mr. and Mrs. Matthews," I said, happily. Then my mood suddenly changed. "Uh... where's Riley?"

"I have no idea. I thought she was with you," Mrs. Matthews said as she started to worry.

I looked over at Maya. She shrugged then started searching for Riley in the crowd with Josh.

When I managed to get out the building, I ran to the Matthews's home.

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

When I reached the bay window, there she was, sitting down and gazing at everything in her room, wearing her cap and gown. I immediately could tell that she was not her usual Smiley Riley.

I tapped on the window.

She wouldn't answer.

I opened the window, "Riles, what are you doing here? We graduate in ten minutes."

"I'm not going," Riley declared.

"Why not?" I asked as I crawled in through the window and sat beside her.

"What if Maya is right?" She asked.

"About what?"

"About how we might go our separate ways once we graduate. I mean Zay is leaving, it's just a matter of time before somebody else leaves."

"You don't want us to go our separate ways?"

"Uncle Shawn was gone for thirteen years."

"But he came back, didn't he?"

"Yes, he did," Riley stood up and walked to the middle of the room. "It's just that... I don't know...."

I stood up beside her. I laced my fingers between hers.

She turned to look at me, her face stained with tears.

I stared into her gorgeous eyes, "everything is going to be alright, Riles. There's no way Maya is leaving any time soon with Josh going to NYU. And I'm never leaving you. I love you too much."

"I love you, too," she replied as a sudden smile appeared on her face.

I tucked her hair behind her ear and leaned in for a kiss.

I stood there for a minute with her in my arms. I looked at my watch. "Riles! We have five minutes until graduation!"

"Let's go!" She replied. I took her hand and we ran out the bay window and down the fire escape. Then we made a dash for the high school auditorium.

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

"Riley Matthews," the announcer said. Riley walked across the stage and got her diploma. The whole crowd cheered.

"That's my sister!" Auggie yelled.

"And that's my niece!" Josh yelled even louder.

Riley giggled adorably.

As I looked out into the audience, I saw Mr. and Mrs. Matthews in the front row. Mr. Matthews had his arm around Mrs. Matthews as she laid her head on his chest.

I hope that Riley and I can be like them. Happily married for twenty one years, I thought to myself.

"Congratulations, John Quincy Adam High School's graduating class of 2020!" The announcer yelled and caps flew into the air.

"We did it," I said to Riley.

"Yes, we did," Riley said as she gave me a kiss on the cheek.

We both hollered at the top of our lungs. A stage of our lives has ended, a new one begins, I thought to myself.