Chapter Twelve (Lucas's POV)

Twenty minutes til midnight, I thought to myself. I was looking over New York City, observing everybody as they had filled the streets. You couldn't see the ball drop from the roof, but it was still an incredible view. Except it would be most incredible with Riley.

I still couldn't believe that Riley might not make it in time for the New Year. But I still had hope. I still had hope that Farkle will make sure nothing bad happens to Riley. I still had hope that Vanessa and Zay will be together once again. I still had hope that Farkle and Smackle will be together once again. And I still had hope that Riley will be with me at midnight.

I couldn't get her off my mind. Her gorgeous brown hair, her dark brown eyes and her perfectly lovely smile. And I adored Riley's incredibly bubbly personality, and the way she laughed and the way she made my heart beat out of my chest every time we kissed. She might not know it, but I think about her all of the time. Even when I'm not with her, I'm still thinking about her.

A big powerful gust blew and snow got into my eyes. When I finally managed to open my eyes, I looked up and saw a helicopter hovering over the roof. I got closer to it.

"What's going on?" Zay asked as he joined me.

I looked at my watch, three minutes til midnight.

I smiled brightly when I saw Vanessa climb down the rope ladder dangling from the helicopter.

"Vanessa?" He could barely speak, I could tell he was quite happy to see her.

"Zay!" She yelled happily as she threw her arms around Zay. They hugged for a while, then held each other's hand as they walked away from the helicopter.

Then Farkle climbed out of the helicopter, "Hey, Smackle."

"I missed you, Farkle," Smackle said as she gave him a big hug.

One minute til midnight.

I began to worry. "Where is she Farkle? Where's Riley?" I began to shake Farkle.

Then he pointed to her as she climbed down the helicopter ladder. She finally landed back on the ground. "Thanks, Mr. Minkus!" She yelled as she waved up to Farkle's dad who was in the helicopter.

The helicopter flew away.

"Riley!" I said as I threw my arms around her. I picked her up and spun her around. Then I put her back on the ground. "I missed you so much."

"I missed you, too," She replied as we stopped hugging.

Eleven...

Ten...

Nine...

Eight...

"I missed you, Smackle," Farkle said.

Seven...

Maya and Josh started to lean in with their arms around each other.

Six...

Zay and Vanessa gazed lovingly into each other's eyes as they began to lean in.

Five...

"I missed you, too," Smackle replied to Farkle.

Four...

I hugged Riley again. Keeping her warm from the frosty air as the snow fell heavier.

Three...

Two...

One...

Happy New Year!

Josh and Maya kissed and so did Zay and Vanessa.

"Have you had your first kiss, Smackle?" Farkle asked Smackle.

"No, I have not," she replied.

And to my surprise, Farkle put his hand her cheek and quickly planted a kiss on her lips.

"Happy New Year, Riley," I said.

"Happy New Year, Lucas," Riley replied.

"I love you so much," I said.

"I love you, too," She said and we kissed as the snow fell even heavier.

Before we knew it, it was a minute past midnight. And I was certainly glad to have been with Riley to celebrate the new year. And I just knew that spectacular things await us this year.