XXII

Brandon~

"Babe...what is all of this...?" I asked nervously as Ashley and my mom came back home.

"What do you mean? It's just a few things for the wedding."

I suddenly got nervous. What was I getting into?

I didn't know if asking Ashley to marry me was such a great idea...she was beautiful but after spending the day with Kathryne, I began to have feelings that I had buried just months ago.

"Brandon...? You alright?" My mom asked looking concerned.

"Yea...I'm fine. Just tired I guess."

"Babe!" Ashley called. "Reverend Mickler would like to know our date. I have to get back to him in the morning."

"We're getting married here? You don't want to get married in California with your family?" I asked her.

She gave me a confused look. "You brought us here remember...? I thought the whole reason we were here was to get married..."

I ran a stressed hand through my hair. "Ash we can't get married now. What will Craig think? The press will eat us alive! Especially since the movie just got released. Everyone will think it was planned."

"So what are we doing here Brandon?! If we're not here to get married then we need to go home."

"This...this is home Ash."

"No it's not. LosAngeles is your home, Brandon. I am your home. Getting married means that we're together and I'm sorry but I can't be together here."

"Why not?"

"Are you serious? Isn't it obvious?"

I looked at her waiting for her to explain as she put an aggressive hand on her hip with attitude.

"Brandon, Kathryne has taken up most of your life! I refuse to live, walk, sit, stand, let alone raise any children where it may remind you of her and the time you spent with her!"

"That time was amazing Ash, but I...I.."

"You what?"

"I don't love you..." I whispered shocking myself.

"What?!" She gasped ready to cry. "You know what let's just go to bed....we can resolve everything in the morning. Besides, it's late."

"I'm not coming to bed...I'm gonna sleep down here."

"Why?" She asked trembling.

"Because I meant what I said....and for the first time since I think I've been an actor, I'm not acting. This is real life Ashley. We can't choose the people we fall in love with, it just happens..."

"And that person isn't me..."

"I'm so sorry..."

I watched as she stomped up the stairs crying harshly with every tear. It was mildly heartbreaking but I knew that my heart belonged to someone else.

In a way...it always had.

~

Nathan~

Chelsea still hadn't returned my calls or texts, and even though I was reluctant, I drove to Senoia to have breakfast with Katy.

"Nathan!" She smiled softly once she saw me.

Something was different when I saw her, not the way she looked, or even with the way she dressed, it was the way she stood and walked toward me, almost with hesitancy...

I didn't feel that much different. Things were different. A lot had changed in the last twenty-four hours.

"Can we take a walk?" I asked her once we finished eating.

"Of course."

I took her hand and again something was off. The electric feeling I used to get wasn't there anymore...

This couldn't be because of Chelsea could it?

"How was dinner?" She asked me.

"Nice. My mom brought an old friend over that was in town, and Jon was there too, so it was fun."

"That's nice. I can't wait to meet them..."

"Yea..."

"Is everything okay?" She asked taking my hand a little tighter.

I stared at the ring on her finger and smiled at her slowly.

I was getting married. To Kathryne. I wouldn't change that.

I gave her a gentle kiss on the forehead. "Everything is perfect."

"Great." She breathed in relief.

"How's the wedding planning going?" I asked changing the subject.

She told me about all the things that she and her sister had planned so far. It was a lot. Just in a few weeks they has worked fast.

"I can't wait." I told her breathing deeply.

"So uh...when will I get to meet your mom?" Katy suddenly asked.

"That....is a good question. Mom is kind of busy right now but maybe this weekend?"

"I promised Kristen I would go shopping for my wedding dress. We're having one of the seamstresses in town make it."

"Okay well what about next week?"

"We have marital counseling with Reverend Mickler..."

"Oh that's right. Uh...this is getting hard Kate."

"Why doesn't she come down for dinner one night? She could meet my family and see where you've been living and where you got inspired to write Senoia!"

"I don't know..."

"Oh come on! She'll love it! Besides I really want to meet the lady that gave me the handsome man standing in front of me."

"Oh really?"

She bit her lip slightly making me smile at how cute she was.

"Yea...I do."

"Woah young lady, save your 'I do' for the wedding."

She laughed and suddenly things were back to normal. Back to the way they needed to be.

It was Katy and I against the world, and nothing would change that....

***

I promise I will not leave you all hanging!!! Another chapter coming up in just a few hours!!

Stay tuned!!