Starbound Paws: Chapter 3

The clouds began to cover the sun once more, the dull rays creeping their way out of the nursery ferns and moving towards the sky. Skunk-kit felt the cold inching past her matted fur, the familiar smell of dirt beneath her warming her only slightly. Cloudsky's scent was fading from the nest Skunk-kit and Badgerkit had slept in in the previous moons, and Embertail's scent was completely gone from her old nest.

Flopping onto her side, Skunk-kit couldn't help but feel a twinge of loneliness. Badgerkit had spent the last three moon in the medicine cat's den, and Cloudsky barely left his side. Skunk-kit couldn't remember the last time she'd seen her mother eat, between delivering meals for Heatherheart and Mudfur and carrying out her warrior duties.

"Spottedpaw," Skunk-kit could hear Smokestar calling to the newest apprentice, "we're leaving, now!" Despite the tom's warning, Skunk-kit only heard the shuffling of Spottedpaw's paws on the dirt. "You must be ready for patrols before they go out," he scolded.

"Yes father," Spottedpaw mew sounded flustered, but Skunk-kit couldn't hear his response as a set of paws made their way towards the nursery.

"Why're ya sittin' here all on your lonesome?" Sunpelt had poked her black nose through, the white on her muzzle rubbing the wrong away against the ferns. "Come on out and see us!"

"I don't want to," Skunk-kit pouted, turning her head away from Sunpelt. "I got Badgerkit hurt..."

"Now you listen to me," Sunpelt's mew came firm, her tone almost immediately reverting to her soft spoken-self. "What happened to your brother was an accident," she pushed her way into the nursery, her golden pelt gleaming briefly in the sunlight. "Besides," she purred, giving Skunk-kit's ear a gentle lick, "what would he say if he could see you now?"

"Groom yourself, mouse-fur..." Skunk-kit muttered, hearing Sunpelt give a snort of laugher, her honey-scented breath ruffling Skunk-kit's fur.

"How's about I help?" Sunpelt offered, giving Skunk-kit another gentle lick.

"Thank you," Skunk-kit mewed softly, secretly wishing that it was her own mother than was here comforting her. Sunpelt settled down beside her, giving the spot behind Skunk-kit's ear a rough lick, taking a nasty knot with her tongue. As Sunpelt continued her way down Skunk-kit's spine, Skunk-kit could feel her own eyes struggling to stay open. The light shining through the nursery's parted ferns warming her body as she dozed off, with Sunpelt's purr rumbling gently against her side.

-

Badgerkit awoke to the muttering of the older cats around him, his mother one of them. They were discussing his injuries, as they did every day when they thought he had dozed off. Heatherheart motioned for Mudfur to be silent, pointing her tail towards where Badgerkit lie, his black-as-night eyes staring straight at them.

"Badgerkit, you're awake," Cloudsky purred, trotting over to give his ear a lick. Badgerkit avoided it, as he had been for the past moon, and resumed staring at Heatherheart.

"When will I be better?" He demanded, gathering up his strength and pushing himself into a sitting position. "I'm sick of this nasty, old medicine den!" Mudfur's ears flicked angrily, his eyes traveling sideways to assess his mentor's reaction.

"Soon, little one, we are working to get you better as-"

"Soon? Skunk-kit will be made an apprentice before I'm allowed out of here!" Badgerkit interrupted, knowing that his words were hurting his mother, but it was too late to stop now. "If I can move, I can leave!" Badgerkit hauled himself up, hitting his head off the roof of the medicine cat's den in the process. "See?!" He hissed triumphantly.

"You shouldn't-" Heatherheart shook her head, giving Mudfur a sideways glance.

"Try to walk, Badgerkit," she encouraged, sitting down and observing him curiously. Badgerkit stepped forward, feeling a sharp pain blossoming up his forepaw, but he forced himself to take another step. The same pain spread once more, making his chest ache and his head dizzy. "How are you feeling?"