Starbound Paws: Chapter 1

The paw steps of her mother were barely audible as she whisked out of the nursery, the birdsong incredibly heavy in the air, as well as the scent of growing things. Skunk-kit kept her eyes closed, well aware that Badgerkit sat alongside her fidgeting wildly. He was waiting for her to wake, his tail purposely flicking her ears and his paws working into the nest below them noisily.

“Skunk-kit,” the fidgeting had stopped. “Hey, its past sun high, you can’t sleep all day.” Badgerkit nudged her roughly, every inch of her wanting to cuff him roughly over the ear. Embertail gave an amused purr from her nest a few fox-lengths away from them before getting up and shaking the moss from her pelt.

“Best not wake her,” Embertail advised. “You know how grumpy Cloudsky gets; don’t you think Skunk-kit will be the same?” Badgerkit scoffed, nudging Skunk-kit once more. “Don’t say I didn’t warn you, little one.” Embertail padded over to where the two lay, giving Skunk-kit’s ear a quick lick. “I know you’re awake,” she murmured. Skunk-kit flicked her ears in acknowledgement, hearing another purr rumbling in Embertail’s throat. “Mischievous already, are we?”

“You are awake!” Badgerkit exclaimed, cuffing Skunk-kit’s ear playfully. “Come on already, let’s go explore!” Skunk-kit sighed, opening her eyes to the light-gray pelt of her brother, his black paws working furiously at their nest. Badgerkit’s jet-black eyes shone brightly as they stared at her, “come on!” he repeated. Skunk-kit heaved herself to her paws, giving her heavy pelt a rough shake and sat down, preparing to wash herself thoroughly. “You can wash later,” Badgerkit mewed impatiently.

“I’m not going out looking like a fluffed-up mouse,” Skunk-kit scoffed, returning to her wash. Badgerkit snorted angrily, but settled down beside her and began washing the top of her head. “You should wash yourself, mouse-brain,” Skunk-kit purred, trying to ignore how happy she felt at her brother’s gesture. He simply twitched his ears, giving her head a final lick before leaning back on his hind-legs.

“You’re looking lovely, as usual, my kits.” Cloudsky had appeared at the entrance once more, smelling strongly of fresh-kill. “Badgerkit, you should groom yourself before you head out,” she scolded, padding over to give him a gentle lick. “It’ll be your first time meeting everyone; you don’t want to look like messy kits, do you?” Skunk-kit couldn’t help but notice her gaze turning towards Badgerkit.

“He was helping me groom,” Skunk-kit spoke up, surprising her mother and brother with the sudden confession.

“Well, isn’t that nice,” Cloudsky mused, though Skunk-kit could see she didn’t believe her. “Come here, Badgerkit.” He trudged over to where their mother had settled, letting her groom him to her satisfaction before wiggling out of reach.

“Can we go now?” His head whipped towards Skunk-kit, “or do you want to get me in more trouble?” Cloudsky let out an amused purr, giving Skunk-kit a gentle nudge out of her warm nest.

“Go on; go meet your clanmates,” her sky-blue eyes were rimmed with love. Badgerkit trotted out of the den, the smells of several cats overwhelming Skunk-kit as she tried to follow him out. “You’ll get used to it,” Cloudsky called from her nest. “Would you like me to come out with you?” Skunk-kit nodded, feeling her pelt burn with embarrassment.

“Well, well,” Darkstripe stood at the entrance of the nursery, his ears flicking towards the emerging kits. “Look who decided to meet their clan!” His words roused another cat from the pile of fresh-kill in the center of the camp, her golden fur shining brightly in the warm sun.

“Hello, young ‘uns,” she greeted them, her calm voice soothing Skunk-kit’s worries like a cold drink on a hot day. “I’m Sunpelt, what’re your names?” Skunk-kit noticed Badgerkit staring intently at Sunpelt, his eyes full of confusion.