Starbound Paws: Chapter 11

"It'th a gooth thing we founth these," Whitebelly purred behind a mouthful of feathers.

"You sound ridiculous," Skunkpaw sighed, tail-tip twitching. Lightfoot and Tigerjaw had taken the lead to the way back to camp, and Skunkpaw noticed that Lightfoot's tail was straight up in the air. Can't wait to hear about this hunt for moons and moons... Lightfoot had practically flown up the tree, pinning and swiftly dispatching the blackbird. The entire nest was filled with feathers, as if the blackbird he had killed was using its own feathers to line its nest.

Tigerjaw had grabbed the blackbird, and Whitebelly and Lightfoot had grabbed as many feathers as they could carry. It would be more than enough to get line Sunpelt's nest until her kits were apprenticed. Though her heart warmed at the thought of Sunpelt's kits, Skunkpaw could not shake the feeling of being watched; beady eyes observing her every move.

The group padded towards the camp in eerie silence, the occasional rustle of grass making Skunkpaw flinch preemptively. She could feel Tigerjaw's eyes on her pelt, a small grunt escaping his blackbird-filled mouth after every couple of steps. Approaching the tendrils surrounding the camp entrance, Lightfoot bound forward, his black-as-night pelt being swallowed into the dark tunnel.

Tigerjaw followed close behind, slowly, with Whitebelly nearly bumping into Tigerjaw's rear as he went to enter. Throwing a tentative glance over his shoulder, Whitebellys' golden pelt followed his two clanmates. Skunkpaw stopped in her tracks, the overwhelming feeling of danger crawling in her pelt and pricking her flesh.

"Get in here," Tigerjaw's stern mew pierced the silence. Shaking away as much of the dreadful feeling as she could, Skunkpaw dragged her paws forward, inching past the tendrils carefully. Panicked mews sounded in the clearing as the group approached, a majority of the clan gathered in front of the nursery with their muzzles close together. "What's going on?" Tigerjaw demanded.

"Shh!" Bluewind hissed, padding towards the arriving group. Badgerpaw sat silently beside his mentor, Coalfur, who sat with his eyes planted firmly on the ground below him outside the nursery. Blood scented in the air, and Skunkpaw felt her fur standing on edge. "Sunpelt started kitting," she mewed quietly. Alarm fired through Whitebellys' eyes, "don't," Bluewind warned. "Heatherheart and Mudfur need as much space as they can get."

"Sunpelt is only a few moons along... oh, StarClan help her!" Embertail mewed from beside them. Skunkpaw had heard stories from Snowear about Embertail's kitting, and how difficult it was. She had borne a liter of four kits; only Spottedpaw surviving the long period of premature kitting. Embertails' fur stood on edge, as if she was reliving her horrific experience.

"FireClan!" Smokestars' mew echoed through the clearing. "StarClan will watch over our medicine cats as they help Sunpelt with her kitting. Lightfoot," the black toms' head rose, "you will sit beside the nursery and offer your assistance whenever they may need it."

"Yes, Smokestar."

"When dawn strikes, Tigerjaw will take your place. Now, rest. Patrols will be sent when the sun rises." With that, Smokestar retreated to his den, his deputy, Bluewind, jumping up to follow him.

"Smokestar will hear about your little secret in the morning," Tigerjaw growled beside her. Struck by unease, Skunkpaw stood, frozen, watching as he picked up his blackbird and deposited it into the fresh-kill pile.

-

Skunkpaw awoke to the sound of purring in the clearing, the mews of the clan cats vibrating gently through the den. Shaking the sleep from her paws, Skunkpaw padded past the ferns blocking her view, spotting Heatherheart quickly among the crowd.

"What's going on?" She murmured to herself, jumping when Badgerpaw appeared behind her. Fear pricked in her pelt at the sight of the crowd gathered again. "Sunpelt?" She whispered, almost dreading the response.