The Tree House

Over the next few months Nathan and I grew closer. We sat by each other in every class we had together and at lunch. We would talk to each other the whole forum.

After the first week of school, we began to hang out at each others' houses. Nathan lived just a block away from me. We walked to school and home together everyday.

I met his sister Jess, who is really nice. Some days when Jess had nothing to do, we would hang out with her. Me, being an only child, sadly had no siblings to introduce Nathan to, but my Dad instantly took a liking to him.

Nathan and I loved to bike around the neighborhood, play tag, hide and seek, and sit up in my tree house.

There was an enormous oak tree in my backyard. When I was 6, my dad built me a treehouse in the tree to play in. It had a ladder from the bottom that led into a hole on the inside of the tree house. The building part had four small walls and one window without glass in it. On the opposite side of the room, there was a door that led out to a balcony-like part of flooring with rails that went around the whole of the building part.

The treehouse became my own secret world when I was little. I never let any one come up. So when I showed it to Nathan, it was a big step for me.

"What's that?" he had asked pointing to the treehouse.

"That's my treehouse," I said. Before I could say anymore, he was already half way up. I was going to protest, but by then he was already inside. I urgently climbed up.

"Wow," he said looking out the window, "look at that view!"

Nathan and I spent the whole day up in my tree house. He is the only person I've ever let come up there. It was not only a big step for me but for our friendship. Me letting Nathan into my little world pretty much sealed our friendship.

Over the years, the tree house became a normal hang out spot for us. Once, we even made a secret club that met in the tree house, though Nathan and I were the only members. Whether we were just sitting and talking, doing homework, or star gazing on warm summer nights we would be up in the tree house.

The tree house soon meant as much to Nathan as it did to me. It was a sacred place and no one could take it away.

One day, during the summer of our 8th grade year Nathan had an idea.

"I can't believe we are going to be in 9th grade next year," he said.

"I know. It feels like only days ago you ran into my locker and we became friends." He giggled softly.

"You know what we should do?" he said after a moment of silence.

"What?" I asked.

"We should make a memory wall."

"A what?" I said looking at him confused. He got up an went over to the wall where I had put up a picture of us on the first day of 6th grade. He looked at it, thinking of the old memory.

"We should make a memory wall," he said again. "You know, take pictures of times we never want to forget and put it up on this wall," he said pointing to the wall. I got up and walked over to where he was. "Like this," he said pointing to the picture. "That is definitely a day I never want to forget."

"Me neither," I said smiling as I looked at the picture.

Over the next two summers, the wall began to be filled with pictures. There were some from a camp that Nathan and I went to in our 7th grade year. One from when I broke my wrist after falling off my bike. Tons from when Nathan and I would go to the beach. Some from sleepovers and birthdays we had together. Others from when Nathan went to London for a week. And just general everyday pictures. To some, the wall would just be a bunch of pictures taped, stapled, nailed, and gummed (yes, even gum was used as an adhesive) to a wall. But to Nathan and I, each picture reminded us of a day, event, moment, or time that we never wanted to forget.

A/N - Hope you all are liking this so far. I would love it if you would comment your thoughts below! Vote, comment, share! Thanks! - Cassie <3