Cuz I'm Your Best Friend

Since then, Shane and I have barely said a word to each other. He's made other friends and I've kept my promise to Nathan.

Nathan's birthday is tomorrow and I'm pretty excited. We're going to go to a local pub for dinner. I'm positive he will love the gift I got him, of course, being his best friend, I would know.

"You excited for your birthday?" I asked him while we were at our lockers between classes.

"Yeah!" he said excitedly.

"I just know you're going to love your gift," I said.

"Oh really?" he said closing his locker.

"Really," I said closing mine. I put my hands on my hips.

"How can you be so sure?" he said crossing his arms over his chest with a playful smirk.

"Cuz, I'm your best friend, " I said hugging him. He wrapped his long arms around me in a hug. He started to squeeze. He squeezed harder, "Nathan, there isn't going to be any best friend left if you squeeze me to death." He laughed and let me go. "Thank you," I said laughing. He smiled and we started laughing again.

Just then, the warning bell rang and we started walking to our next class.

-

The last bell of the day rang and I stood up from my desk gathering my things. I walked over to Nathan, we walked out of the classroom and down the hall to our lockers.

I did the normal exchange of stuff then closed my locker. Nathan closed his, and we started walking home.

"So birthday boy," I said walking backwards in front of Nathan, "how does it feel to be 18?"

"Just like it felt to be 17, but now I can drink like a big boy," he said giggling. He poked my shoulder and started laughing which made me laugh as well.

"Yeah, well I'll be 18 in less than a month and a half so I'll be joining you soon," I said now walking beside him.

We came up to my house and I told Nathan to head right up to the tree house because I was going to grab his gift. After starting water for some tea, I went upstairs to my room and dug to the back of my closet grabbing the gift bag with Nathan's present in it.

I went back to the kitchen and finished making the tea. I took the mugs and grabbed Nathan's gift from where I had set it on the counter and went out to my back yard.

"Nath," I called up to the tree house.

"Yeah?" he replied.

"Could you come down here and take your tea from me?" I asked.

"Why?" he asked teasingly.

"Because if you want your birthday present, I suggest you come down here and take it." I heard noises from the tree house and laughed as he scrambled down and grabbed his mug from me. I followed him back up into the tree house.

After we settled ourselves on the floor of the tree house, I started to sip my tea. Nathan just sat with his mug in front of himself and stared at me intently. I decided to mess with him a bit and ignored his stares. "Um, Nicki," he said.

"Yeah?" I asked turning my head to look at him as I was "studying" my mug and its contents.

"Um, are you going to..." he said trailing off gesturing to his gift sitting next to me.

"What?" I asked as if I had no idea what he was getting at. He just shook his head and started drinking his tea, still looking at me. I looked from him to the gift bag and back to him then acted like I had an ah-ha moment. "Oh, this," I pointed to his gift, I pulled out the card looking at the envelope, "this is for another Nathan."