Hour 0

It was something my mother couldn't understand, it even was difficult to my dad with his twent-one-century mind to process, even my sister with her free spirit and young soul, I made this decision by myself and I stand by it. I want to leave.

I'm not trying to escape - I have nothing to escape from - I just want a new beginning, a new start. I want to start living my life on my own, to have new experiences but most importantly, to start living. People may think that growing up in Los Angeles instantly makes you an interesting-cool person, a person that probably has lived amazing adventures and has a lot of fun stories to tell, but maybe those adventures were not made for me. I never identified myself as a Cali girl, I don't belong here.

So, on the journey of finding myself, I decided to leave.

Of course I had a 'good time' growing up here. Having the beach just a few minutes from my house was definitely one of the best things that could ever happened to me, but it wasn't enough. All the surfboards abandoned on the beach, the crazy parties and all-nighters, the superficial valley girls and fuckboys, the drugs and the ambition of everyone wanting to become famous, it wasn't me and I was rounded by them. It was enough for me to realize what I wanted.

One day I woke up in Ben's house - my now ex boyfriend - covered in dry jagger and melted jelly shots, my hair smelled like smoke and vomit coming from the boy laying next to me, the room was a mess and it was when I noticed we weren't alone in there. The broken mirrors and crystal tables, the half naked girls laying on the floor, the slight smell of weed in the background, it was a full combo to make me realize that that was it, I needed to stop.

Long story short, I broke up with Ben a couple of days later. I wasn't happy with him, it was a vicious relationship that continuosly made me turn into someone I was not, I was constantly doing things I didn't like just because he didn't share my interests. It was the best decision of my life, apart from buying my ticket to London.

That week I decided I needed to leave, that's why I bought my ticket. I've been saving money since I was fifteen, maybe its time to put that money to work.

At first, my parents were not happy with my decision. Well, they still aren't fully convinced.

"Is this some kind of rebellious act? Is it attention that you seek?" My mothers asked, her voice between an angry tone mixed with concern.

"No, mom. I just... I want to get out of here, okay? I want to find myself. To have the chance to see the world while I'm young." I said, running my hand through my hair and curling the ends. "You, from all the people in the world, know that I don't belong here. I need to find that place or at least, try."

"Is it because you broke up with Ben?" My sister, who was in the chair next to me asked.

"No, he has nothing to do with this." I said, giving everyone a smile. "I made this decision for me, not because of anyone."

"Will you come back?" My dad asked, his frows united.

"Of course I will, dad." I gave him a smile. With that they were more calm but still not happy.

They kept asking me questions. What will happen with college? After all I was in my second year but I got it covered, they will hold my credits for two years and if after those two years I don't return, they will erase me from the system and I will have to start all over again. The truth is, I don't want to come back, not until I find happiness in my life again, something or somewhere worth living for.

Where will I live? Well, I still don't know. Here and there. I have a few friends living all around Europe, I will be couchsurfing or staying in cheap motels until I settle in, I have enough money for a small apartment and sustain myself for at least six months. The money is not a problem.