Ch.8

Maria heard a door slam, and quickly put all the stuff she found back in the cubby hole. She also grabbed a random book off the shelf and pretended to be reading on the couch.

As she waited, she heard dragging sounds. Curious, she looked down the hall.

"Are those new victims?" She called.

Jonathan came out of a cell, from where he had dragged a man.

"You could say that."

He pulled out a key and locked the cell door, then walked by her to his lab. Maria followed.

"Not to be rude," Jonathan said, turning towards her as he sat at his desk. "But why are you here?"

"A certain caped crusader dropped in to question me about you."

"What did you say?" He asked suspiciously.

"That I was bait, and that you let me go."

He pushed his glasses farther up his nose. "I'm shocked you didn't tell the truth."

She glared at him, then smiled. "I'm innocent and always tell the truth. Or in this case, half truths."

He frowned. "It concerns me that you are turning into a criminal so fast."

"I'm not a criminal, till I have a costume and I'm on the news." She retorted.

"Whatever you say."

Jonathan turned back to his work, leaving her to mull over his words.

...

Maria watched from a corner of the cell as Jonathan injected the poor man. He was trying out a new form of toxin, that also had a mix of a sedative.

After the whole fiasco on top of the police building, she thought about what could actually bring the Batman down. Then it hit her.

Adrenaline was activated in an emotional response, which speeds up the heart and movements of a person. So if you add the sedative to the mix, it would slow down the body while experiencing the fear toxin at its height. Theoretically.

So she watched the man as his body stilled, but his eyes were moving rapidly at a fast pace. His fingers were twitching, breathing rapid. Then he started to scream a horrible sound, so ear piercing, it made her head hurt. Yet Jonathan stood unaffected with an emotionless expression.

This continued for over an hour before the man past out cold, but alive.

"Success?" She ventured, as she walked over to him.

She was surprised when Jonathan actually smiled. "I think it was."

She smiled in return and kissed his cheek before she lost her nerve. Her cheeks blazed as she pushed a stray piece of hair, that had fallen out of the bun, out of her face.

And was totally unprepared as Jonathan tilted his head down and kissed her. It was quick, and brief. But it still satisfied her heart as he leaned back.

"That was truly unexpected." She managed to say.

"No. I don't think it was."

...

Still feeling awkward from earlier that night, she followed Jonathan quietly down the streets of Gotham. They were heading to a fabric store, so she could get materials to make a costume for her. Jonathan had decided she couldn't go alone, so he came too.

The store was extremely easy to get into, after all who would rob a fabric store? She went down the aisles until she had gathered what she needed, and set it in a small shopping basket.

"Jonathan." She said suddenly. "Look, I'm you!"

Maria had grabbed a burlap potato bag, and stuck it over her head. She pulled it off to see Jonathan roll his eyes.

"Amusing."

She lightly punched him in the arm. "Don't be so serious all the time. I have tons of health problems, yet I still do fun things. In fact, I need a hobby."

He gave her a confused look. "You had three different topics in one statement."

"I'm happy! I mean it's not everyday I can rob a store!"

"Back to our earlier conversation about you being a criminal. It worries me again that you are actually taking it very easily. And you are enjoying it."

"Is that a problem?" She asked curious.

"As long as you don't take any unessesary risks, then no. Just never turn out like the blond who hangs with Joker."

"Harley? I had her once for a session. Had to sub." She stated. "But trust me when I say I won't go crazy psychopath lover on you."

"I'm so reassured."

They exited the store and began a silent walk home. Well almost.

"What are we Jonathan?" She asked after walking for a bit. "We're two former doctors who take fear to the extreme, and have a weird relationship."

"A relationship?" He questioned. Smirking as she blushed.

"Whatever you call it." She muttered. "But I'm saying, when we actually succeed in defeating the Batman, and make Gotham know the true meaning of fear... What will we do?"

He shrugged slightly. "I honestly haven't thought that far."

She fell silent and wanted to ask a question that she constantly asked herself. "Will you ever leave me Jonathan?" She finally dared ask.

"No." He said so casually, she stopped walking. Jonathan stopped also and faced her. "But you honestly don't know who I am. And the question your asking, is one I should be asking you. Cause we will never have a normal relationship. I don't do good in... romance."

He looked so awkward as he said that, that Maria smiled slightly. "The first day of seeing your work, being subjected with the toxin, and actually realising why you do what you do... I made my choice then to stay. And I don't regret it. And I knew any relationship we would have, would definitely be not normal. I would be disappointed if it was."

She took his hand in hers, and placed it on her cheek, as she placed her other hand on his cheek. "I will never leave you." She promised. "Even if the whole of Gotham is against it, and if the Batman is hunting us down. And the world is beyond saving and going mad. I will never leave. I will never leave you."