Ch.22

"Maria." A voice whispered in her ear.

"Not now Jonathan." She mumbled.

Then Maria yelped in surprise as Jonathan picked her up.

He set her down on the docks as he reached back in the boat to hand her her scythe.

She rubbed her eyes tiredly then blinked in confusion. "Was I dreaming about Arkham?"

Jonathan looked at her amused. "I wish. But sadly we have to run, if we don't want the police or the Bat to catch us."

She nodded. "Where's Claudia?"

"Left. Gave me an apology to tell you that she needed to find Thomas before he goes to the island in search for her."

"Glad he cares."

"I don't think he does."

Maria gave him a half-hearted glare as they walked. "People do crazy things when they're in love."

"Talking from experience?"

She smiled. "Well I did just break you out of Arkham."

"So you admit that you are in love with me."

Maria averted her gaze to the ground as her cheeks blazed. "Maybe." She mumbled. "Or I'm a crazy psycho."

He shook his head then readjusted his glasses. "You are the farthest thing from a psychopath Maria. And definitely not crazy or mental."

"So what am I, Dr. Crane?"

"Still figuring it out."

"Well report back to me when you know." She glanced at him. "But you were right about one thing."

"And that is?"

"I'm in love with you."

They both stopped walking, locking gazes.

"I know." He said simply. "I'm just not capable of love."

Maria sighed. "When we kiss, do you like it?"

Jonathan shrugged as his cheeks slightly reddened.

She laughed as she too blushed. "That's love."

He regained himself and stepped closer to her. Making her tilt her head up slightly, feeling suddenly small.

"So this," he murmured; teasing. Then slowly leaned down and kissed her slowly. "Is love.."

She nodded with her eyes closed, still feeling that warm flicker in her chest. She opened her eyes then. "If this is the only love we can have.. So be it."