Ch.17

"Success?" She ventured, as she walked over to him.

She was surprised when Jonathan actually smiled. "I think it was."

She smiled in return and kissed his cheek before she lost her nerve. Her cheeks blazed as she pushed a stray piece of hair, that had fallen out of the bun, out of her face.

And was totally unprepared as Jonathan tilted his head down and kissed her. It was quick, and brief. But it still satisfied her heart as he leaned back.

"That was truly unexpected." She managed to say.

"No. I don't think it was."

Maria stiffened in her sleep, then relaxed as a new dream emerged.

She took his hand in hers, and placed it on her cheek, as she placed her other hand on his cheek. "I will never leave you." She promised. "Even if the whole of Gotham is against it, and if the Batman is hunting us down. And the world is beyond saving and going mad. I will never leave. I will never leave you."

Maria woke up with dried tears on her cheeks, and an empty heart. She wearily reached for her bag on the ground and took out her pills, swallowing them dry.

And when her senses finally awoke, she realized she was in a strange bed, in a strange room, in a strange place.

Then it all came flooding back. She cursed herself for acting like the victim she once was, and she made a vow in that moment that she Maria Gardner would get Jonathan out.

After deciding that, Maria got up and hesitantly opened the door to the room she was in, and looked down the long hallway for any activity. Besides the extravagant rug, decor, and an occasional small mahogany table, things were quiet and still.

She cautiously stepped out, but then as she passed a small mirror, she realized she looked like a mess. Remembering the other door in the room, she went to investigate and was glad to find a bathroom.

For the next half hour, she cleaned herself from tears and misery in the hot shower, and stepped out feeling better. She dressed in a white long sleeve and simple blue jeans, that was the extra clothes she was carrying just in case. Braiding her hair, she left the bathroom and the bedroom, and walked down the the hall. After going a couple of turns and starting to feel lost, she suddenly noticed a big staircase going down.

Walking down carefully, she was relieved to hear voices coming from another room. She wouldn't have liked to be left alone in this huge mansion. It looked nice, but was way too big and mysterious for her liking.

Maria looked in the doorway, where she heard the voices from. It was a huge brown and tan kitchen and she could see the Butler from before cooking something in a pan, possibly eggs by the smell. Bruce was also there, leaning against a counter, wearing a white dress shirt and pants.

Feeling awkward, she knocked hesitantly on the doorframe. They both looked over. The Butler made the first move by smiling warmly at her. "Come in Ms. Gardner! Breakfast will be ready soon."

"Thank you." She said softly. "But I really shouldn't impose..."

"It's quite alright." Bruce replied. He beckoned to her. "Follow me to the dining room. You are a guest and will have a proper breakfast made by the chef Alfred."

She smiled and followed Bruce into the dining room that was through another doorway that connected to the kitchen.

Bruce pulled out a chair for her and she hesitantly sat. He sat across from her.

"I'm really sorry for dropping by so late last night." She apologized. "It's just I really needed to see someone who I knew."

"I'm the only person in Gotham that you know?" He said curiously.

She bit her lip and shook her head. "No siblings, parents, friends. Just some acquaintances and..." She sighed and shook her head again. "It's just really complicated right now."

"I am here if you need to talk." He said kindly. "I don't have many friends either. Or family besides Alfred."

She nodded absentmindedly. "Well thanks again."

"You are truly welcome Maria."

...

After Bruce had left for a meeting, Maria snuck back to her room and hopped out of the bedroom window. Glad the room was on the ground floor. She quickly ran around the huge mansion till she reached the gravel road.

Getting into her car, she pushed the pedal after twisting the key in the ignition. Her lips were set in a thin line, and her nails dug into the leather of the steering wheel. She drove right at the speed limit for over three miles until a large warehouse neared.

She parked and sat for a second staring at the warehouse's ugly paint. Jonathan would've never approved of the step she was taking. Hell, she didn't! But it was her last hope to breaking Jonathan out.

She took a deep breath and opened the car door. Slamming it shut before she went over to the warehouse's door. Besides the old look, it swung open easily and closed just as easy.

It only took a second for men in clown masks to surround her, then the clown prince himself.

There was honestly no going back at this point. But if the Batman wouldn't help, the Joker would. Out of pleasure to make Gotham Fall in a chaotic mess... And she would help gladly to get what she wanted.