Ch.12

Maria swept the tile floors as fast as she could, wishing she didn't have to stay late. She was pretty sure Thomas was getting back at her for trying to get to know him.

"Arrogant bastard." She muttered as she almost tripped over her own feet.

It was late and she shivered. It was cold, and dim in this one hospital room. Then suddenly she felt like someone was behind her, so she swung around and-

-hit Batman with a broom. But he stayed firm and tall as she hugged the broom to her chest.

"Maria Gardner."

"Batman." A pause. "What do you want?"

"To know why you are living a double life."

"I don't know what you mean." She lied.

"It's only a matter of time before the police target you and make your real identity go public. By being with Jonathan Crane, you will lose the chance of having a normal life."

They both didn't acknowledge the tears streaming down her face. "I was never normal. I was a victim, and now I can be something more."

"Like a criminal, a villain? They hurt innocent people and call it fun, research, an addiction. Do you want to become like that?" He whispered, voice softened. "You are a good person that wants to help people, so why are you planning to hurt them."

"You won't understand!" She exclaimed and fell on her knees on the cold floor. Hands covering her eyes.

"You love him. Don't you?"

"Yes." She sobbed.

"Let me help you move on. Get you out of Gotham to live peacefully."

Maria looked up glaring. "Gotham is my home. Jonathan is my life. And if you get in the way of that, I will kill you."

He shook his head sadly. "I doubt that. You're no killer Maria, just lost." He went to stand in front of the open window. "You had your chance." He said. "Next time I will catch you."

Then he dove out of the window as a black blur, leaving silence.

...

She didn't go home.

Just drove aimlessly down the streets of Gotham. Seeing a small bar on the corner, she parked and went in. She sat on a stool at the counter and ordered some wine.

Once she would've never dreamed she would step into a bar, let alone drink. But here she was sipping her first glass. Sickly sweet and tart.

"Rough day." A familiar voice stated beside her.

She turned and was surprised to see Thomas. She rubbed her eyes to try to erase the redness of crying. "How'd you know." She said dryly.

"Cause I never took you as a person to drink. Your file stated you had health problems."

"Damn my health." She said sharply and downed her drink.

"Try this." Thomas handed her a glass of scotch.

She did and her eyes smarted at the burn it left down her throat.

"Better?"

She smiled. "Yes, it actually is."

Three rounds later...

"So why are you here drinking?" Thomas asked her curiously. He was drinking his second glass.

"Life." She said simply.

"Anger, sorrow, love."

She groaned. "I'm in love with a big time criminal." She blurted out before covering her mouth with her hands. "I mean none of the above. Zilch. Nada."

He glanced at her, blue eyes amused. "Love, huh? With who?"

She shook her head. "I can't tell you."

"Fine. Joker."

She gasped in disgust. "The idiot clown! Really?"

"Just checking. Riddler?"

She shook her head.

"Mad Hatter?"

Again no.

"Scarecrow?"

She shook her head, but she was a fraction late and her cheeks warmed.

"Thought so. Crane is an ok guy."

"Wait!? You know him?" She said in disbelief.

"He was my professor when I went to Gotham University. And every now and then we catch up."

"He's never mentioned you."

"Has he talked about someone called Hush?"

She nodded slowly. "Twice I think."

"That's my other name for myself."

It took a moment for it to register. "You're the one who skins people's faces..."

"Correct."

"Yet you're not supposed to have a face."

He sighed annoyed. "I still haven't killed my last assistant who started that rumor."

"Oh."

Thomas got up and put on his dark coat. "Come on."

"Why?" She stood up and almost fell over.

"You're drunk and need a ride."

She nodded and he helped her out to her car, grabbing the keys out of her coat pocket. He drove as she sat in a daze. Head pounding as she watched the buildings go by. She was unaware the car had stopped until Thomas opened her door and helped her out. Yet she kept tripping, so he picked her up.

Thomas knocked on the door, and it soon revealed Jonathan. But before he could say anything, Thomas pushed past him and carried her to her couch.

"What happened?" She heard Jonathan say faintly.

"I found her getting drunk at a bar, not realizing she was the woman you mentioned till she accidentally blurted out that she loved you."

Maria could imagine Jonathan's face.

"And I think she might've had a visit with the Batman to cause all this. I found a tracker in her coat pocket as I grabbed the keys."

"I'll talk to her once she's in her right mind. But I had a bad feeling about letting her become a criminal."

She was surprised to hear Thomas laugh. "I know her well enough to know she's intelligent, clever, and has a sharp mouth. She can handle herself. Besides... Her talking can drive anyone crazy."

Their talk faded as she slowly drifted, then fell into a dreamless sleep.