Ch.14

Maria subconsciously smoothed down her deep blue gown. Feeling vulnerable among the crowd that had attended the charity ball.

She wanted to push her hair back, but resisted. In her right ear was a white earpiece that was set to a certain frequency that connected with Jonathan's. He was here, but hiding among the fringes. Since he was a widely known criminal and she only had rumors, whispers, that mentioned the 'Reaper'.

Picking up a glass of water, she slowly sipped as she scanned the crowd.

"See anything?" A voice crackled in her ear.

"Nothing yet." She whispered. "Yet I still don't get why we're targeting the new Warden of Arkham."

"The Warden Lyle Bolton was recommended by Bruce Wayne, owner of Wayne Enterprises. Mr. Bolton also was part of Wayne Enterprises. And since-"

"Still doesn't make since." She interrupted and smiled at a woman who walked by her.

An annoyed sigh was heard in her ear. "Like I was saying... Bruce Wayne would not have supported Mr. Bolton if he was incapable of keeping Arkham under control."

"Then this must be the part when you say we eliminate the threat."

"To insure our future prison breaks at Arkham, yes."

"Ok." She sighed.

"Excuse me?" Said a man's voice from behind her.

Maria turned abruptly, almost dropping her glass as she recognized Bruce Wayne. She tried to say something, but nothing came out.

"Were you talking to yourself?" He asked, slightly concerned. "Did you happen to have too much to drink?"

She shook her head and gripped her glass tightly. "I-i don't d-drink." She stammered.

He seemed to study her over, then smiled widely. "May I ask you to dance then?"

"Say no."

"Why?" She said aloud. As she set her glass on a table nearby.

One answered first:

Bruce looked at her puzzled. "Because you looked alone, so I thought I could invite you to a dance?"

Then the other answered:

"You need to keep an eye out for-"

"I know that." She mumbled. Then caught Bruce's eye. "I mean I knew that and sure, I mean yes. To the dance, of course."

Maria blushed embarrassed as he grabbed her hand and led her to the dance floor.

"This is not part of the plan."

"I'm improvising." She said under her breath.

"Three minutes. That's it. Or you might slip up." A pause, then "when you see my signal, target Bolton. He just arrived."

Before she could respond, her ear piece shut off.

Bruce stopped walking and so did she. He lightly put his hands on her waist, while she put her hands on his shoulders.

"So.. Mr. Wayne." She said casually. "How's the arm?"

"Better." He smiled. "It's healing quite well, thanks to you."

She laughed softly. "You're actually the first person I ever treated for a burn."

His eyes widened in disbelief as they moved with the song playing in the background. "Again, you're a natural."