Chapter 10

Riley's point of view

"Riley, I'm sorry that I wasn't there for you during this tough time. You were always there for me and I told myself the moment you needed a shoulder to cry on, I'd be that shoulder. But I wasn't there. I was too caught up in boys and popularity to see what my best friend was going through. And I'm sorry, I'm so, so sorry"

She really just apologized. I was supposed to apologize but she did. I got my best friend back!

"It's okay Maya. It happens. I found somebody to help me. I found Farkle, well more like he found me" I smiled.

"I'm glad you can forgive me. And from now on its me and you. To school, from school, during school and anytime you need me" she smiled at me.

"Thanks Maya. But I need to apologize as well" I paused "because I yelled at you instead of telling you what was really bothering me. And I'm sorry" I had to apologize for what I did too.

"All is forgiven Riley. You had a serious situation going on. You had a million reasons to be angry. But I'm glad you're happy now" she said with a grin.

"Yeah well I'm still not completely happy" I confessed. "Why not?" she was so clueless.

"Maya...my Dad never came home from school today. He he ran away" I tried not to cry.

"Oh my gosh Riles come here" she pulled me closer and wrapped her arms around me. I didn't cry. I didn't shed one tear because I got my best friend back. But for some reason that wasn't enough.

It was silent for awhile. I pulled away and looked at Maya. "Do you think he'll ever come home?" I asked.

"I don't know Riles. But I learned two very important lessons from you. One is prayer will always work and two hope is not for suckers" she smiled at me and I smiled back.

"Will you pray with me?" I asked her. She looked scared. She slowly agreed.

We held hands and I started.

"Dear God. Please bring home my dad. Please have him make up with my mom. Please I-I" I began to cry.

Maya continued for me. "And God Please protect him and bring him home safely to make up with Topanga for Riley and Auggie's sake. And I know for sure that deep down inside he loves Topanga, Riley and Auggie too much to not fix this. My families hope is gone but the Matthews still have a chance. Please give them that chance to make up and be the best family I have ever been apart of" she looked up at me.

"Amen" we said together.