Chapter One

I couldn't believe it was happening to me. Didn't she understand that I wanted to stay with her? I didn't even know my father. I wondered if he was an abusive jerk, or if he hated me. I wondered if he knew how to raise a teenager. I didn't understand why my mom abandoned me like that. I thought maybe I wasn't enough for her to stay alive. I began to doubt that she had even loved me.

All those questions were running through my mind as I sat on the dark plane, people sleeping all around me. I was sure it was almost dawn, that I was nearly to my destination. I was exausted, I hadn't slept since that night when I heard the gunshot down the hall. I had jumped out of my bed and ran screaming to my mom's room. I knew she had been depressed, just not that depressed. I stood before her door trembling. Did I want to open it? I didn't know what I wanted to do, but I had no choice. I reached for the door knob slowly, I turned it and pushed gently on the door. The first thing I saw was the blood all over the floor. Then I saw my mom lying crumpled on the floor next to her bed, with the gun in her hand. I ran over to her sobbing. I reahced a shaking hand up to the nightstand where her cell phone was. I flipped it open and punched the numbers I had hoped I would never have to press.

"911, what is your emergency?" I heard the operator ask.

I wondered how she could be so calm. It had to bother her answering calls like that everyday and night.

"Please, please help! My mom she's hurt!" I sobbed into the mouth piece.

"How is she hurt?" The operator asked.

"She shot herself! Please help!"

I turned off the memory right there. I couldn't and didn't want to remember the rest. There were tears streaming down my face. I felt a hand on my shoulder and jumped slightly, turning around to see the most handsome face staring at me. He reached up and wiped away the tears. I sniffled and looked in his eyes. He placed his hand on my face and smiled at me. I half-smiled back.

"Don't cry." He whispered.

I giggled softly, sniffling again.

"I'm sorry, I can't help it." I responded.

"What's wrong?"

"Just thinking about what happend this past week."

"What happened that's made you cry?"

Why was I talking to this complete stranger? Was it his kind eyes, his sweet smile? I had no idea what I was doing, I was too upset to even care. I stupidly thought about what my mom would have said if she was there. "Girl, he's cure, and he's got a major crush on you already!" I laughed a little and though. "I miss you mom." I started to cry again. The strange boy pulled me into him and held me while I sobbed. After a few minutes I realized what I was doing and pulled back.

"Look I'm sorry, but I don't even know you." I said to him.

"I'm Mikhalis." he said.

"I'm Arianna." I replied.

"Where are you going Arianna?"

"To my father's, he lives in a small town in Viginia, just south of Richmond."

"I see, I live just outside of Richmond, about 15 miles to the south."

"That's where my father's house is." i said.

He smiled at me and asked again why I was crying.

"You don't want to be bothered with my problems." I said.

"Yes I do. I like you, I already care about you." He said.

"Wow... Um... Well I was crying because I'm being sent to my dad's and I don't even know him. My mom was depressed and I woke up one night to a gunshot. She had killed herself." I broke down crying again.