Chapter 17

Dective Rossi's POV

I walked into my office and sat down at the desk. I pulled off my glasses and ran my hands over my face. I'm stressed out and haven't had much sleep lately. I've been searching for my missing granddaughter Kaila for the past thirteen years. I believe she's still alive and I'm going to find her. I'm not giving up. I haven't gave up for thirteen years so why stop now?

Before getting up I pulled out a folder of pictures from the crime scene where Kaila was last to be seen. The car had been driven off a cliff and sunk into a lake. It makes me cringe every time I think about the whole incident.

Placing my glasses back on my face, I grabbed the folder and stood up from my desk. I made my way to the interrogation room where I have a suspect waiting for the disappearance of Kaila. I'm really going to lose my patience if he lies to me about Kaila's disappearance.

I walked into the room and see the suspect, Eddie Ruiz. I sat down at the table with him and placed the folder in front of me. He stares at me, as I clear my throat and clasped my hands together. Before I said anything I took a deep breath.

"Mr. Ruiz do you know why you are here?" I asked.

"No Detective." he speaks up.

"Before we get into everything I'm going to show you some pictures. Do you mind taking a look at them?"

"Not at all."

I took the pictures out from the folder and set them out on the table. He carefully scans over the pictures and I noticed him tense up.

Clue number one.

He closes his eyes and covers his face with his hands. These pictures are obviously bringing back some memories. I leaned back in my chair and placed my hands behind my head. I patiently waited for him to speak up.

After five minutes of silence Eddie finally speaks up and I'm ready to hear the lies that he's getting ready to tell. I sat up and fixed my tie before listening to him.

"I don't have anything to do with this." he lies through his teeth. I cleared my throat once again and picked up the picture with Kaila on it.

"You see this little girl?" I could feel steam coming out of my ears. He nods. "She's my granddaughter and she's been missing for over thirteen years. So I suggest you tell me about what happened on the day of March 15, 2002."

"I already told you that I don't have anything to do with the missing of your granddaughter." Angrily, I slammed my fist on the table and jumped up from my seat.

"If you don't have anything to do with the disappearance of Kaila then why did we find a piece of your filthy hair at the crime scene?!" I shout.

His face turns cold and he swallows nervously.

• • •

Ava's POV

I managed to stay awake for two hours until my eyelids became heavy and I couldn't keep them open anymore. I was kind of tired from last night because my body is a bit sore. I've been living it up for a week and now my body has had enough of it and I have too. I'm just ready to be back in my own bed and cuddle with my stuffed animals. They keep me company when I'm bored.

Aaron hasn't said a word to me ever since we left the house. I don't mind though. I love the quietness and don't have to worry about him bothering me. He's not really ready to go back because he knows that he's going to lose me in a few days, weeks or months. I'm not ready for a new change in my life but its for the best so I might as well not sap about it. I just pray that I don't have to move out of state and leave Julian and Yamile behind. They're my best friends. No one will ever replace them.

Damn I totally forgot that I haven't told Julian anything about my little/big situation. He's not going to be too happy about this but oh well. He's going to have to deal with it someday.

When I woke up from my nap we were already in Arizona. This is the fastest Aaron has drove before. We were getting ready to stop for gas and lunch. I was kind of starving even though I already had a big meal for breakfast. About five minutes later we pulled up to a Chevron gas station and I slipped my shoes on real quick. I climbed out of the car and walk inside the mart while Aaron pump the gas.

I quickly used the bathroom then looked around for some snacks. I know I'm fat as fuck but I love to eat.

After looking around for a few seconds I finally decided on what to get. I got a bag of Hot Cheetos, Skittles, Cheddar popcorn and a bottle of lemonade. Maybe I just have the munchies or something.

I paid for my stuff and walked out to the car. Aaron had just finished pumping the gas as soon as I walked out.

"I'm going to go use the bathroom. I'll be right back." he informs me. I nodded and climbed inside of the car.

Once I was settled in I began to eat my chips. There was really no point of eating right now since we're on the way to get something to eat anyways. Three minutes later Aaron comes back to the car. He hops in and starts the engine.

"What do you want to eat?" he asks. I think about it for a second and it finally comes to me.

"Jack In the Box." I smile.

He nods and drives off. I haven't had Jack In the Box in what seem like years. Its been a while. The food is so amazing I could never get tired of it.

We pulled up to Jack In the Box five minutes later and Aaron went through the drive thru.

"What do you want?" Aaron asks.

"The bacon ultimate cheeseburger." I tell him. "With a small fry and a Hi-C Fruit Punch."

He nods then pulls up to the speaker. He orders our food then pulls up to the window. The lady opens the window and Aaron hands her a $20 bill. She closes the window and finished putting our food in the bag. Once she's done she opens the window again and hands Aaron the bag then our drinks. He passes everything over to me.

I placed both of our drinks in the cup holders then grabbed my burger and fries out of the bag. Aaron drives off and parks the car so we can eat. I was already chowing down on my burger and fries. My stomach was growling like crazy. I handed Aaron his burger and box of fries.

"Thanks." he mumbles.

"Welcome." I say stuffing my mouth with some fries.

I swallowed my food and picked up my drink. Placing the straw between my lips, I slowly suck the fruit punch up. When we finished eating we placed our trash in the bag. Aaron got out of the car to go throw the bag in the trash. I grabbed my phone off the charger and checked to see if anyone texted me. There was a message from Blake.

Blake: hey I miss you already

I smiled at the message and text him back.

Me: lol hey I miss you too

Blake: really?

Me: yeah but I miss the twins more

Blake: that's not fair 😩 but they miss you too

Me: aww we have to FaceTime when I get home so I can see their cute little faces

We continued to talk for an hour or so until I fell asleep on him.

-hope you lovelies enjoyed this chapter! the next update will be up sometime next week. I have finals next week & I'll be studying:( hopefully I'll have a chapter up by Tuesday or Wednesday tho:)

but....

please comment & vote;)

love you guys!! xxx