Things Fall Apart

SARAH'S POV

"So what do I say?!?" I asked Emma for the 7th time.
"Hmmm," she hummed popping a piece of popcorn into her mouth,"how about just hey"
"Too boring!" I whined.
I had invited Emma over to hang out and help me with Daniel, and of course she agreed. We were trying to figure out what to text Daniel.
"How about: hey! With three exclamation marks." I suggested.
"Too desperate" she sighed.
"One?"
"Not enthusiastic enough!"
Ten minutes, another bag of popcorn, and alot of back and forth later, I came up with the genius text.
"How about:Hey it's Sarah! Riley gave me your number:)"
Emma thought hard, probably assessing some kind of universal laws of texting boys, and finally nodded.
"Sounds perfect!" she smiled.
"Ok," I breathed,"Here goes nothing!"
I stared at the send button for at least a minute, and then slowly pressed send.
Emma squealed and clapped loudly.
Ding-dong
"Oop! That's my mom" she explained. "See you tomorrow!" And with that she left, giving me an exaggerated wink on her way out.
I couldnt stop smiling.
✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽
THE NEXT DAY AT RECESS
"I'm freaking out!" I confessed to Chloe.
"Don't," she told me,"boys are like that. Trust me, I live with one!"
I twisted my hands nervously, then spotted Daniel playing four square.
"Come on, lets go play four square Chloe!"
We made our way over to the four square court. I made sure I was next to Daniel in line.
"Hey," he said, "why did you text me?"
"O-oh" I said nervously,"R-r-riley gave me your number."
"Stalker" he laughed cruelly, and then
walked away.

What?

It seemed like everything was coated in a layer of gray fog. All the voices and noises were on mute. How could he say that? That wasn't like him at all.
"Sarah"
A voice cut through the fog.
I sighed with relief. It was Gina, sitting under the friend tree with Emma,Chloe, and Riley.
"Are you ok?" Riley asked.
"Yeah you look shaken up" Gina remarked. I collapsed under the tree.
"You guys will NEVER believe what just happened."