Just a little crush, nothing more...

"Mm, that Mallowmelt was good," said Dex, smacking his lips.

    Sophie smiled. It wasn't always Dex and her got to hang out.

    "Sophie, you have visitors," Grady called from the bottom of the steps. "And Edaline and I are going somewhere, will you be okay?"

    "Okay, coming," Sophie called back. "And of course I'll be okay. Bye!"

    Sophie turned back to Dex. "I guess we'll have to put this hang out on hold."

    "What?"

    "Never mind. Come on, let's see who it is."

    They got up from the carpet and walked downstairs, Dex grouching about some 'new invention' he wanted to show her.

    "Hey, Foster," Keefe said when he saw her coming downstairs. Keefe, Fitz, and Biana were sitting on the couch drinking lushberry juice.

    "Hi, Sophie," Biana beamed when she saw Sophie coming down the stairs. "Look what I found in my locker yesterday!"

    In Biana's hand was a note. It read, 'To my dearest flower, I give a gift of beauty no match for yours'.

    "Wow. Got yourself a secret admirer there," Sophie remarked.

    "Yeah!" Biana was bursting with excitement. "And there's more! He left me a --"

    Fitz cut her off. "I think that's enough for now," he said with a glance at Sophie.

    We need to do something to get this off her mind. I think her admirer was that kid Larkson from level two, and he's one of the 'popular ones', Fitz transmitted.  

    Sophie nodded, trying to imagine Biana hanging out with a snotty, uptight level two. She shuddered.

    Keefe seemed to be thinking the same thing.

    "Hey, why don't we play that game Sophie suggested a while back?" They all nodded.

    "Okay, but this time I'm going first," Fitz declared, and they all agreed it was fair since last time Fitz was the one to be chosen.

    They arranged themselves in a circle like before, with Biana and Sophie on the couch while the boys sat on the floor.

    "Okay, so, my go. I pick... Sophie. Truth or dare?"

    Sophie swallowed. Suddenly she had an idea. 

    If I pick truth, can I just transmit it to you? Sophie asked Fitz telepathically.

    Fitz sighed. "Sure, why not."

    Keefe seemed to catch on. "Hey, hey, hey, you can do that mind thing while we're left in the dark! You gotta share it with us!" Dex and Biana nodded.

    Sophie glanced at Fitz. What if he asked her a personal question? Or a secret she didn't want to share? She met Fitz's eyes. It'll be okay, he transmitted. You can transmit me the real answer and tell them a fake one.

    Sophie nodded as if she was agreeing with Keefe. "Okay, we won't do our 'mind thing'," Sophie squirmed. She hated lying to her friends like this, but she and Fitz had a connection. A trust only they shared. At least, she hoped it was.

    Biana cleared her throat. "Well, hurry up," she said to Fitz.

    Fitz closed his eyes to think. "Sophie..." The rest of his question was in her head. Who do you... like? Sophie swallowed. This was hard to say, seeing as she had a teeny-tiny, insignificant crush on Fitz. Well, not so teeny-tiny or insignificant now.

    Sophie transmitted back, I hope this won't change anything, but I kind of like... you. Sophie winced when she saw Fitz's reaction. Total shock. But was that... hope?

    Fitz frowned, then grinned as thoughts flashed through his mind. Sophie liked him? Really liked him? He didn't know exactly what to feel, but he knew he was happy. Extremely happy.

    Sophie partly wished this wouldn't make things awkward. But what she really hoped was that Fitz liked her back. 

    "Hello? Earth to Foster? Are you there?" Keefe startled her out of her thoughts. "Fitz just asked you a question!" Keefe repeated the words slowly. "What. Are. You. Afraid. Of?"